Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> on 2012/02/14 01:39:28 UTC

Re: Cordova Website

Hey everyone,

So Michael has been pretty busy with client project and I was wondering if anyone else would like to take a stab at writing up the content.

I'm looking for the content to go into the "Want to Contribute?" (http://yoheishimomae.github.com/cordova-website/#contribute) section explaining how one can get involved in Apache Cordova. Ideally description would be less than 3 paragraphs. I don't fully understand the contribution process so it would be nice to have it written by someone who has better insight on these.

Thanks,
Yohei

On 2012-01-31, at 10:37 AM, Michael Brooks wrote:

Awesome work Yohei! I'd be happy to sit down with you (and anyone else) to
write up the content.

I agree with Brian, keep it simple and separate. In the longer-term, it
would be nice to see the site running from a Git repository instead of SVN
- for consistency and pushing along the Git infrastructure experiment.

Michael

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Brian LeRoux <b@...@brian.io>> wrote:

I say we go w/ your first option Patrick. Its not going to be under
heavy dev by many folk anyhow.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:17 AM, Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>>
wrote:
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 09:36, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>> wrote:

So here is a preview of the site:
http://yoheishimomae.github.com/cordova-website/

Nice!  Love that it's a single page.

I've temporary put the codebase up on
https://github.com/yoheishimomae/cordova-website but we should setup a
repo for that under apache-cordova and move everything there.

It appears we can edit the content by editing
cordova-website/www/template.html and then re-gen'ing.  Nice.

It turns out, we already have a "repo" for the main web site - it's an
SVN
repo though [1][2].  So, here are some options, sorted in increasing
levels
of pain (my opinion):

- commit your code to the SVN repo; presumably we'd essentially nullify
the
"build" that's going on with whatever templating they're currently using.
We'd be committing the actual, final, genned files into the SVN repo,
and
then publishing that.  Not sure how to nullify the "build", but shouldn't
be difficult.

- move your code to a new Apache Git repo, or maybe put it in the docs
repo; I think I'd prefer to reuse docs instead of creating a new one.
When
we want to update the main site, we "build" the site into the checked out
SVN repo, then check in the SVN bits.  Still need to figure out how to
nullify the "build".

- get SVN completely out of the picture - the problem is that I have no
idea how to do this; the "front page" staging and publishing story looks
non-trivial to me; not clear how we could have it work off a Git repo
instead of SVN, have it do our build, etc.  Maybe it's trivial, maybe
it's
unpossible; I have no idea.

I'd be happy to figure out the staging and publishing steps for the first
two options.  I don't have the time or patience for the third option.

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/i26vx32z6vyvntev

Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Filed a ticket w/ infra. Hopefully I got the bits right.

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>.
Hi guys,

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.
>a) You create a separate subtree, like .../incubator/cordova/site (if
>> we're replacing the site, we can just as well switch the name from
>> Callback to Cordova :-), and put your stuff there. Then file an INFRA
>> request to have the contents of .../incubator/cordova/site/public
>> published automatically to http://incubator.apache.org/cordova/. This
>> is probably the most straightforward solution.
>>

>That sounds good to me.  I can update the weinre docs, in a separate
>subdirectory (say .../incubator/cordova/site/weinre), as they need to be
>changed, independently of whatever else we put up there.   I'm perfectly
>happy with a story of using svn to check-in the changes, then letting a
>buildbot publish the files to the server.

+1

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> Also, is it ok if I wipe everything in
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/callback/site/trunk/
> > and copy everything from
> > https://github.com/yoheishimomae/cordova-website + /public folder
> > and have the site point to that folder?
>
> It's a bit more complicated. We have two options:

It's even more complicated.  Maybe.

I'd like to publish the web pages (aka, 'the manual') for weinre at the
site.

Here is what they look like:

    http://callback.github.com/callback-weinre/

a) You create a separate subtree, like .../incubator/cordova/site (if
> we're replacing the site, we can just as well switch the name from
> Callback to Cordova :-), and put your stuff there. Then file an INFRA
> request to have the contents of .../incubator/cordova/site/public
> published automatically to http://incubator.apache.org/cordova/. This
> is probably the most straightforward solution.

That sounds good to me.  I can update the weinre docs, in a separate
subdirectory (say .../incubator/cordova/site/weinre), as they need to be
changed, independently of whatever else we put up there.   I'm perfectly
happy with a story of using svn to check-in the changes, then letting a
buildbot publish the files to the server.

b) ...

I'm not interested in this, but if this is the way we decide, I can
tolerate it.

--
Patrick Mueller
http://muellerware.org

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com> wrote:
> So I don't think I'm authorized to commit to the SVN repo yet.
> Can someone add me to the repo?

AFAICT you should have enough karma already. What's the error you're
encountering? Make sure that you're using https instead of http for
your svn checkout, as anything requiring authentication happens only
over https.

> Also, is it ok if I wipe everything in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/callback/site/trunk/
> and copy everything from
> https://github.com/yoheishimomae/cordova-website + /public folder
> and have the site point to that folder?

It's a bit more complicated. We have two options:

a) You create a separate subtree, like .../incubator/cordova/site (if
we're replacing the site, we can just as well switch the name from
Callback to Cordova :-), and put your stuff there. Then file an INFRA
request to have the contents of .../incubator/cordova/site/public
published automatically to http://incubator.apache.org/cordova/. This
is probably the most straightforward solution.

b) There's been some recent work on enabling the Apache CMS to use a
custom site build system instead of the built-in Markdown-based one.
You could join infrastructure@apache.org (or site-dev@) to see what it
would take to enable that feature to use your "ruby bin/gen.rb"
command. This will be harder to set up, but the benefit is that then a
web browser is enough for editing the site - no need to have svn,
ruby, and all the other dependencies installed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Cordova Website

On 2012-02-14, at 10:07 AM, Yohei Shimomae wrote:

Thanks Fil!

I'm gonna copy that over to the site and push everything to the repo.

On 2012-02-14, at 7:52 AM, Michael Brooks wrote:

Thanks Fil.

Your condensed version would be ideal for the website, which in turn can
link to the detailed Wiki article on contribution.

Michael

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>> wrote:

Hey Yohei,

I took a stab at updating the cordova wiki page on contribution:
http://wiki.apache.org/cordova/ContributerWorkflow

It is mostly Michael Brook's work on the original article from the old
phonegap wiki:
http://wiki.phonegap.com/w/page/28618504/Git%3A%20Contributor%20Workflow

It is a lot of info but perhaps a condensed version could be something
along the lines of:

----

First, make sure you have signed the Apache CLA [link].

The JIRA issue tracker [link] and the dev mailing list [link] are good
places to identify areas to help out in.

Next, clone the git repository for the project you are wishing to
contribute to [see below or link]. We recommend employing a certain type
of git workflow, please see our wiki article [link] for more information.

Finally, to share your changes with the community, you can send a pull
request on GitHub to the Apache git mirrors [link]. You can also advocate
for your changes directly on our mailing list [link].

----

Re: Cordova Website

Posted by Yohei Shimomae <yo...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Fil!