Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Tomas Delvechio <to...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/01 14:19:12 UTC

Installing Hadoop from .deb installer

Hello

I found an officially hadoop 1.2.1 .deb installer, and I'm trying to
install it on Ubuntu 12.04 (I previously installed the JDK).

After the installation, I found these scripts:

* hadoop
* hadoop-daemon.sh
* hadoop-setup-applications.sh
* hadoop-setup-hdfs.sh
* hadoop-validate-setup.sh
* hadoop-create-user.sh
* hadoop-daemons.sh
* hadoop-setup-conf.sh
* hadoop-setup-single-node.sh

I tried to execute hadoop-setup-conf.sh and
hadoop-setup-single-node.sh (in this order). But in the last one, I
get the following error:

vagrant@precise64:~$ sudo hadoop-setup-single-node.sh
Welcome to Hadoop single node setup wizard

Would you like to use default single node configuration? (y/n) y
Would you like to format name node? (y/n) y
Would you like to setup default directory structure? (y/n) y
Would you like to start up Hadoop? (y/n) y
Would you like to start up Hadoop on reboot? (y/n) y

Review your choices:

Setup single node configuration    : y
Format namenode                    : y
Setup default file system structure: y
Start up Hadoop                    : y
Start up Hadoop on reboot          : y

Proceed with setup? (y/n) y
Configuration setup is completed.
 * Formatting Apache Hadoop Name Node hadoop-namenode

                          14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.NameNode:
STARTUP_MSG:
/************************************************************
STARTUP_MSG: Starting NameNode
STARTUP_MSG:   host = precise64/127.0.1.1
STARTUP_MSG:   args = [-format]
STARTUP_MSG:   version = 1.2.1
STARTUP_MSG:   build =
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/branch-1.2 -r
1503152; compiled by 'mattf' on Mon Jul 22 15:30:37 PDT 2013
STARTUP_MSG:   java = 1.6.0_32
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO util.GSet: Computing capacity for map BlocksMap
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO util.GSet: VM type       = 64-bit
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO util.GSet: 2.0% max memory = 1013645312
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO util.GSet: capacity      = 2^21 = 2097152 entries
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO util.GSet: recommended=2097152, actual=2097152
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSNamesystem: fsOwner=hdfs
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSNamesystem: supergroup=supergroup
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSNamesystem: isPermissionEnabled=true
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSNamesystem: dfs.block.invalidate.limit=100
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSNamesystem:
isAccessTokenEnabled=false accessKeyUpdateInterval=0 min(s),
accessTokenLifetime=0 min(s)
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSEditLog:
dfs.namenode.edits.toleration.length = 0
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.NameNode: Caching file names occuring
more than 10 times
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO common.Storage: Image file
/var/lib/hadoop/hdfs/namenode/current/fsimage of size 110 bytes saved
in 0 seconds.
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSEditLog: closing edit log:
position=4, editlog=/var/lib/hadoop/hdfs/namenode/current/edits
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.FSEditLog: close success: truncate to
4, editlog=/var/lib/hadoop/hdfs/namenode/current/edits
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO common.Storage: Storage directory
/var/lib/hadoop/hdfs/namenode has been successfully formatted.
14/08/30 20:38:54 INFO namenode.NameNode: SHUTDOWN_MSG:
/************************************************************
SHUTDOWN_MSG: Shutting down NameNode at precise64/127.0.1.1

* Starting Apache Hadoop Name Node server hadoop-namenode
namenode running as process 30241. Stop it first.

* Starting Apache Hadoop Data Node server hadoop-datanode
datanode running as process 30336. Stop it first.

mkdir: cannot create directory /user/mapred: File exists
mkdir: cannot create directory /tmp: File exists

 * Starting Apache Hadoop Job Tracker server hadoop-jobtracker

 chown: changing ownership of `/var/log/hadoop/root': Operation not permitted
starting jobtracker, logging to
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-jobtracker-precise64.out
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 137:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-jobtracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied
head: cannot open
`/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-jobtracker-precise64.out' for
reading: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 147:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-jobtracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 148:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-jobtracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied

 * Starting Apache Hadoop Task Tracker server hadoop-tasktracker

chown: changing ownership of `/var/log/hadoop/root': Operation not permitted
starting tasktracker, logging to
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-tasktracker-precise64.out
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 137:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-tasktracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied
head: cannot open
`/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-tasktracker-precise64.out' for
reading: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 147:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-tasktracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied
/usr/sbin/hadoop-daemon.sh: line 148:
/var/log/hadoop/root/hadoop-root-tasktracker-precise64.out: Permission
denied

Did someone know how is the correct execution order of these scripts?
Is there any tutorial that describes the install and post install
process of the referenced .deb installer?

Thanks in advance

--
Tomas Delvechio

Re: Installing Hadoop from .deb installer

Posted by Tomas Delvechio <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jens,

Thanks for your help. In the /usr/share/doc/hadoop there are only four files:

* CHANGES.txt (is a changelog file from 1.2.1 version)
* LICENSE.txt (copy from Apache License)
* NOTICE.txt (file with two lines, nothing useful)
* README.txt (Only references to Hadoop wiki and web page, and
something about cryptographic software).

Furthermore, I'm trying to locate a man page about hadoop command, but
doesn't exist.

Some extra help?

Thanks again.

Posted by Tomas Delvechio <to...@gmail.com>.