Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Pedro Viegas <pv...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/01 00:31:18 UTC

Re: tapastry vs struts

I'm not an experienced user so I can't give advice on a topic like this.
Others have already done it!
Nevertheless something I can call your attention to...

You mentioned:
Struts Pros : huge user base and hence good support
Tapestry Cons : not as big user base as struts.

The user base, I would agree. The support issue... not quite!
I'm walking that learning curve myself for some months. I'm absolutely
marveled with how tapestry addresses the normal issues and how an answer to
every problem seem to be ready to use every time you need it... and very
simple to do so.
Every little step I had to take, every doubt I had when the documentation
(witch is really not quite there yet) didn't suffice, when the books didn't
cover it, or even when I wanted a quick answer, this was the place I got my
answer from. If by searching the archives it wasn't already there every time
I posted my own case to the list I got very fast answers and from guys who
have been around Tap for a very long time.

So, the good support issue, I for one think this mailing list really does
leverages the odds with struts.

There is one book you'll find absolutely mandatory to start with Tapestry 4
if you choose to.
It will walk you with the first steps and into this web development
"philosophy".
You'll see it mentioned in this list over and over again as reference.

*Enjoying Web Development with Tapestry*
by Ka lok Tong
http://www.agileskills2.org/EWDT/

Good luck on your choice. Much pondering needed. I know what you're going
through. Did some time ago in my current employer, did not chose Tapestry. I
Regret my decision to this day, so I am finally using it on my free hours!
:-)

On 4/26/06, Konstantin Ignatyev <kg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >>The developers generally much prefer it, it is more productive, easier
> to debug
> >> and maintain ONCE the learning curve is done with.
>
>                       I would like to say that Tapestry's learning curve
> is less steep than JSF one.
>
> John Coleman <jo...@ntlworld.com> wrote: I've team led and
> developed numerous Struts apps over the years, some small,
> some large. IMO unless the app is trivial form processing, Struts soon
> runs
> into problems. Struts should be regarded as a low level framework upon
> which
> to build your own app framework. The main problem with Struts is you
> usually
> use JSPs, and they in themselves are difficult to manage. Most the larger
> Struts apps I have worked on soon find that Struts hinders development and
> restricts flexibility.
>
> Architects have been critical of Struts
> http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/12/11/mvc.html?page=2 and I think
> they are correct.
>
> We have done just one app with Tapestry. The developers generally much
> prefer it, it is more productive, easier to debug and maintain ONCE the
> learning curve is done with.
>
> Struts vs Tapestry is comparing apples and oranges really. You need to
> find
> a framework that fits your business requirement.
>
> John

Pedro Viegas