Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by David Harris <dh...@drh.net> on 1999/06/11 14:46:30 UTC

SSL mass-vhosting

On Friday, May 21, 1999 3:09 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
> BTW, something I have been thinking about but haven't investigated yet
> is mass SSL vhosting. Demon uses IP vhosting for historical reasons
> but other than that the main reason to do things that way is SSL. It
> would be cool to get mod_ssl to magically find a vhost's certificate
> on the fly in a similar manner to mod_vhost_alias and the document
> root. I haven't got my head round SSLeay yet so this idea probably
> won't happen until Demon decide they want to do SSL vhosting, unless
> anyone else wants to do it...

I think all the certificate and private key files are loaded in the server
init phase and then stored by mod_ssl. So, it seems that getting mass SSL
vhosting to work would be more of a trick than just dynamically creating the
crt/key path from each request... but more of making the crt/key cache
dynamic.

Ralf, can you offer any guidance?

 - David Harris
   Principal Engineer, DRH Internet Services