Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Christofer Jennings <bo...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/28 17:54:30 UTC

Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

What are the differences between the Oracle ADF on oracle's site (
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/adf/adffaces/index.html) and
Trinidad?

I've heard that Trinidad is not as polished. I've also heard that Trinidad
*IS* Oracle ADF. ... I've confusion.

Help? (thanks :)
,chris

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Tomek GoĊ‚embiewski <tg...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 28, 2007 10:22 PM, Christofer Jennings <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Matthias,
>
> That email thread helped and hurt. :) ... Are there any rich/ajax
> components in Trinidad? Those emails made me think not.

It depends what You mean "AJAX".
Every trinidad component use partiial page refresh feature which is a basic
ajax functionality. Single page apps whitout a one full page reload are
possible in trinidad (I'm working on such a project).
If You're looking for some cool looking components trinidad is not a good
option. You have to skin components for You self, cos default trinidad skins
are just ugly.
Trinidad laks also some cool "ajax" components like context menu, dropDown
menu, drag and drop support etc.
If You want things like that rich faces are a far better option with some
dhtml animation effects and build in JQuery support.
And lastly if You are looking for something very cool looking full ajax web
2.0 bla bla bla go for ext http://extjs.com/ and incarnation of ext in gwt
http://code.google.com/p/gwt-ext/

To sum it up trinidad is very mature and stable technology build on oracle
adf faces code without a cool looking new age components and with ugly skins
out of the box so u have to skin it for Your self to get something looking
good.

refards
Tomek

> About the skin: I don't know what it takes to build a skin. Is it just CSS
> or is there more JSF specific stuff? ... I guess I'll have to go research
> it.

Skining in trinidad is quite easy if you know the selectors for css in
components found here:
http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/skin-selectors.html
 Don't even touch skining withut ie developer toolbar or firebug, just in
case when You don't know what css clasa is used in specified component html.

RE: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Mark Millman <ma...@mizar.com>.
There are 3 systems here

Oracle ADF (no obsolete and no longer supported)

MyFaces Trinidad (where Oracle ADF went)

Oracle ADF RichFaces (depends on Trinidad but incompatible; a page can
either contain Trinidad or ADF RF tags but not both)

Oracle ADF RichFaces is what Oracle has been demonstrating for the last
several months, although it is still in beta.  It is the core underlying
component library for Oracle's Fusion 11g release scheduled for "sometime in
2008".

We're working in all three: ADF RichFaces is fun but not done; Oracle ADF is
done but obsolete; MyFaces Trinidad does everything Oracle ADF did and a bit
more.

Mark

mark.millman@mizar.com | www.mizar.com | (360) 945-2643

That email thread helped and hurt. :) ... Are there any rich/ajax components
in Trinidad? Those emails made me think not.

About the skin: I don't know what it takes to build a skin. Is it just CSS
or is there more JSF specific stuff? ... I guess I'll have to go research
it.

,chris

On Dec 28, 2007 10:47 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

Hi,

this question was already asked (in a similar way) in the past.
Please check out:

http://www.mail-archive.com/adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org/msg02323.html

> Maybe I mean Oracle ADF Faces. I've found some stuff on oracle's site such
> as: "It is important to understand that Trinidad is different from ADF
Faces
> and a component set in its own right. Oracle is a major contributer and
> deeply involved in the development of the Trinidad components."

components are 99% the same; there was an Oracle Skin,
which was not donated by Oracle. Same is true for things like
the "Telnet RenderKit". Mainly b/c of dependencies / licenses for the
dependencies.

> So I'm still left wondering which to use. Is Trinidad as feature-complete
> and "slick" as oracle ADF Faces? ... I think someone showed me an ADF demo

> that was pretty nice looking and had more to it than the Tinidad demo. ...
> But I can't seem to find the demos online now (still searching).

Trinidad is the base for ADF Faces 11g;
Trinidad is used in JDev 11g (google for a tech. preview) as the Migration
strategie for "old" ADF Faces (10.x).

> Also, there is an Oracle ADF Faces download that is not Trinidad. What is
> this?

This is the "old" ADF Faces ( 10.x).

HTH,
Matthias

> (from:
> http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_dlg_id=3279169
<http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_dlg_id=3279169&src=195
2635&Act=40> &src=1952635&Act=40
> )
> "Thank you for your interest in the early access release of Oracle ADF
Faces
> component. Oracle ADF Faces is a rich set of user interface components
based
> on the new standard for JavaServer Faces (JSF). ADF Faces provide various
> components with built-in functionality - such as List-Of-Values, Table,
> hGrid, Color Picker, and Calendar - that can be customized and re-used.
ADF
> Faces ensures a consistent look and feel for your application, allowing
you
> to focus more on user interface interaction rather than look and feel
> compliance."
>
> hmmm,
> chris
>

> On Dec 28, 2007 9:12 AM, Oscar Duque < pipasoft@hotmail.com
<ma...@hotmail.com>  > wrote:

> > Oracle ADF (Application Development Framework) it's a complete set of
> technologies, that Oracle provides in order to facilitate the Web
> development.
> > One of that technologies is ADF Faces, that's the Oracle's JSF
> Implementation, which extends the standard JSF components with a lot of
> more.
> >
> > In the past year Oracle has donate the ADF Faces to the open community,
> exactly to the Apache MyFaces people, and this people has named the new
> project as
> > MyFaces Trinidad in order to be concordant with other MyFaces existing
> project called Tobago.
> >
> > I wait this few lines, help you,
> >
> > Oscar Duque
> >

> > ________________________________
>  Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:54:30 -0800
> > From: bozmoz@gmail.com
> > To: users@myfaces.apache.org
> > Subject: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?
> >

> > What are the differences between the Oracle ADF on oracle's site
> ( <http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/adf/adffaces/index.html>
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/adf/adffaces/index.html ) and
> Trinidad?
> >
> > I've heard that Trinidad is not as polished. I've also heard that
Trinidad
> *IS* Oracle ADF. ... I've confusion.
> >
> > Help? (thanks :)
> > ,chris
> >

> > ________________________________

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Scott O'Bryan <da...@gmail.com>.
To put it simply:

1. Oracle ADF-Faces 10.1.x became Trinidad.  Since the donation,
ADFFaces 10.1.x has only evolved with bug fixes whereas Trinidad has
evolved quite a bit since the donation with the help of the Apache
Community.

2. Oracle ADF-Faces 11 (a.k.a. the Rich Client) is an EXTENSION on
Trinidad.  It has support for Oracle proprietary technologies and a much
more interactive computing environment.  In edition to a much more
flexible model on the client (browser) it also has push technologies.
So while Trinidad supports AJAX AND skinning, the RichClient supports
many more skinning choices and a much richer ajax.

3. My understanding is that Oracle has plans to donate the RichClient
(well, at least the non-oracle parts) to Apache as an incubator
project.  As Matthias said, however, 99% of the API is the same between
the two renderkits, so switching from Trinidad TO ADF-Faces 11 should be
pretty easy.

I personally would avoid ADFFaces 10 however.  Although that renderkit
is supported by Oracle, it's not under active development.  Whereas both
Trinidad and ADF-Faces 11 are by their respective groups.

Make sense?
Scott

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Yes,

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Christofer Jennings <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 28, 2007 1:22 PM, Christofer Jennings <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That email thread helped and hurt. :) ... Are there any rich/ajax
> components in Trinidad? Those emails made me think not.

... found ajax info here...
http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/devguide/index.html

> About the skin: I don't know what it takes to build a skin. Is it just CSS
> or is there more JSF specific stuff? ... I guess I'll have to go research
> it.

found skinning info here...
http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/devguide/index.html

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Christofer Jennings <bo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matthias,

Re: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hi,

this question was already asked (in a similar way) in the past.
Please check out:

http://www.mail-archive.com/adffaces-user@incubator.apache.org/msg02323.html

> Maybe I mean Oracle ADF Faces. I've found some stuff on oracle's site such
> as: "It is important to understand that Trinidad is different from ADF Faces
> and a component set in its own right. Oracle is a major contributer and
> deeply involved in the development of the Trinidad components."

components are 99% the same; there was an Oracle Skin,
which was not donated by Oracle. Same is true for things like
the "Telnet RenderKit". Mainly b/c of dependencies / licenses for the
dependencies.

> So I'm still left wondering which to use. Is Trinidad as feature-complete
> and "slick" as oracle ADF Faces? ... I think someone showed me an ADF demo
> that was pretty nice looking and had more to it than the Tinidad demo. ...
> But I can't seem to find the demos online now (still searching).

Trinidad is the base for ADF Faces 11g;
Trinidad is used in JDev 11g (google for a tech. preview) as the Migration
strategie for "old" ADF Faces (10.x).

> Also, there is an Oracle ADF Faces download that is not Trinidad. What is
> this?

This is the "old" ADF Faces (10.x).

HTH,
Matthias

> (from:
> http://www.oracle.com/webapps/dialogue/dlgpage.jsp?p_dlg_id=3279169&src=1952635&Act=40
> )
> "Thank you for your interest in the early access release of Oracle ADF Faces
> component. Oracle ADF Faces is a rich set of user interface components based
> on the new standard for JavaServer Faces (JSF). ADF Faces provide various
> components with built-in functionality - such as List-Of-Values, Table,
> hGrid, Color Picker, and Calendar - that can be customized and re-used. ADF
> Faces ensures a consistent look and feel for your application, allowing you
> to focus more on user interface interaction rather than look and feel
> compliance."
>
> hmmm,
> chris
>

> On Dec 28, 2007 9:12 AM, Oscar Duque <pipasoft@hotmail.com > wrote:
> >
> > Oracle ADF (Application Development Framework) it's a complete set of
> technologies, that Oracle provides in order to facilitate the Web
> development.
> > One of that technologies is ADF Faces, that's the Oracle's JSF
> Implementation, which extends the standard JSF components with a lot of
> more.
> >
> > In the past year Oracle has donate the ADF Faces to the open community,
> exactly to the Apache MyFaces people, and this people has named the new
> project as
> > MyFaces Trinidad in order to be concordant with other MyFaces existing
> project called Tobago.
> >
> > I wait this few lines, help you,
> >
> > Oscar Duque
> >

> > ________________________________
>  Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 08:54:30 -0800
> > From: bozmoz@gmail.com
> > To: users@myfaces.apache.org
> > Subject: Oracle ADF or Trinidad?
> >

> > What are the differences between the Oracle ADF on oracle's site
> (http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/adf/adffaces/index.html ) and
> Trinidad?
> >
> > I've heard that Trinidad is not as polished. I've also heard that Trinidad
> *IS* Oracle ADF. ... I've confusion.
> >
> > Help? (thanks :)
> > ,chris

Matthias Wessendorf