Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Dalys Sebastian <se...@yahoo.com> on 2006/01/11 23:49:21 UTC

SMTP vs Web services via HTTP

I am new to web services and I am doing a research to find out a comparison between SMTP
vs WebServices using HTTP.
(The main criteria to evaluate is the speed). I use SMTP/WebServices via HTTP to get
across a file between machines.

My implementation of both shows that SMTP is faster than webservices via HTTP. Is this
conclusion right? Could you please give your ideas or point me to some information on the
web regarding this?

How does webservices using Axis perform regarding speed, when file sizes are increased?

Does Web services via SMTP faster as compared to WebServices via HTTP?

Thanks,
Dalys

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: SMTP vs Web services via HTTP

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
I would definitely expect transferring files via SMTP to be faster than
transferring files via SOAP over HTTP. SOAP adds a significant amount of
processing overhead (processing the SOAP envelope). I suspect that SOAP over
HTTP would be faster than SOAP over SMTP, though.

Anne