Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro> on 2022/02/21 14:38:28 UTC

How are you monitoring Cloudstack?

Hi folks,

If anyone cares to share (on or off list) with me a few words about how
they are monitoring Cloudstack and related infrastructure that'd be
lovely.
I'm trying to find out what are the choices currently and how we can
improve the overall experience.

Don't be shy!

Cheers

Re: How are you monitoring Cloudstack?

Posted by K B Shiv Kumar <sh...@indiqus.com.INVALID>.
We use Zabbix extensively. It works very well for all types of monitoring
of ACS... CloudMonkey, API, DB, custom scripts etc. You can make the probe
as intrusive as you wish to.

Best Regards
Shiv
(Sent from mobile device. Apologies for brevity and typos)

On Mon, 7 Mar, 2022, 21:17 Vladimir Dombrovski, <vl...@bso.co>
wrote:

> [...]
> 4.16.0, with the goal of upgrading to it by the end of the year.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vladimir
>

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2022 at 15:08, Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Vladimir,
> >
> > Thanks for the elaborate reply.
> > Can you let me know which api calls you used to determine VM stats,
> > especially the inaccurate ones?
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > ---
> > Nux!
> > www.nux.ro
> >
> > On 2022-03-07 13:56, Vladimir Dombrovski wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > After having tried to collect the correct metrics from the API, we had
> > > to resort to a lower level set of collectors, as some of the metrics
> > > (e.g. per VM resource usage) were incorrect.
> > >
> > > Our current setup is netdata that uses the cgroups collector to gather
> > > from KVM/QEMU. We then match the VM names with metadata which we are
> > > fetching directly from the API to enrich the metrics with labels.
> > > We're then storing everything inside Prometheus, and exposing the
> > > graphs via a separate Grafana.
> > >
> > > Globally, the feedback we've had from our end-users is that after
> > > seeing incorrect metrics (mostly in used RAM counters) they got really
> > > confused about the actual state of their project. It is really
> > > unsettling to see a VM configured to have multiple GB of RAM to use
> > > 100% of it immediately at boot (which is incorrect, because the
> > > incorrect underlying counter was used). We've also had other instances
> > > where the CPU usage went above 100% which looks really confusing.
> > > Finally, users were sceptical as to why there are two separate
> > > measurements for CPU, one being the total frequency (whatever that is
> > > supposed to mean), and the other the number of cores used. All these
> > > encounters really hurt when advocating it as a trustworthy system to
> > > our users.
> > >
> > > Now, we've tried some workarounds, for example, we tried compensating
> > > for the incorrect counters by enabling memory ballooning, which
> > > somewhat helped with the correct values but brought along its own set
> > > of issues. In the future, we are planning to do a lot more tests on
> > > the metrics, by comparing what Cloudstack gives us with what we
> > > actually see inside our systems. We hope that we'll eventually find
> > > the correct configuration elements, and maybe flag some issues if we
> > > happen to find any.
> > >
> > > To sum up, we believe that the current implementation of metrics isn't
> > > nearly accurate enough (at least out of the box) to be shown to all
> > > users as a landing page. We also completely get it that Cloudstack is
> > > a complex and complete ecosystem that has ties and dependencies to
> > > many sub-components, making it difficult to try and test all the
> > > possible use-cases. We hope to reach a point soon where we have used
> > > and understand the system well enough to be able to contribute in a

information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the
original message and any copy of it from your computer system. You are
communication is strictly prohibited unless proper authorization has been
obtained for such action. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender immediately. Although IndiQus attempts to sweep
e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that both are
virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of
viruses.

Re: How are you monitoring Cloudstack?

Posted by José Flauzino <jo...@scclouds.com.br>.
Hi all,

I would like to share some observations and news regarding VM stats.
Releases 4.16.1.0 and earlier only show the stats of the last data
collection performed or the sum of them.

I opened PR #5984[¹], which changes the method used by ACS to store and
show available VM stats. Among other things, starting with this PR, ACS
will offer historical VM stats data. This will open doors for new
features. Therefore, we are already working on the development of new
views in the ACS UI to allow users to monitor VMs within the platform
itself. We will be sharing these with the community soon.

In addition, we are mapping inconsistencies in the VM stats collected by
ACS - which already includes some of the inconsistencies mentioned in
this thread. As we make progress we will also share it with the
community.

Best Regards,
José

[¹] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/5984

--

 		 [2]

José Flauzino
Software Developer

jose@scclouds.com.br

Links:
------
[1] http://www.nux.ro
[2] https://scclouds.com.br

Re: How are you monitoring Cloudstack?

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Shiv,

Agreed 100%.

---
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by K B Shiv Kumar <sh...@indiqus.com.INVALID>.
Hi Nux,

Posted by Vladimir Dombrovski <vl...@bso.co>.
Hello Nux,

Posted by Vladimir Dombrovski <vl...@bso.co>.
Hello all,

Posted by benoit lair <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ivet, i will take a look at it with a poc soon :)

Regards, Benoit

Posted by benoit lair <ku...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Thanks Benoit, will have a look at those.
Knew about Zenoss, but I'm new to Centreon.

---
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by benoit lair <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hi Paul,

Thanks, I have noticed the same.
For VM info you can have a look at libvirt_exporter which you can run on
each KVM hypervisor and gets you pretty good information.

---
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by benoit lair <ku...@gmail.com>.