Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com> on 2009/05/05 14:33:14 UTC

Now that struts-master is done, going to start 2.1.7 release

Unless anyone has anything they want to commit first...

I'll give it a couple of hours while I read the docs on releasing.

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: Now that struts-master is done, going to start 2.1.7 release

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I can wait a little bit... I don't want to push the release out too
far, though, there are a lot of updates going out (over 90 JIRAs
closed for 2.1.7 at last count). So, we can give it a little time. If
you need help getting an XWork release ready, let me know I can jump
in over there and help out too.

-Wes

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Wes,

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
Andreas,

I agree that this is a very interesting finding and a useful scenario.
Nevertheless, I see two downsides of changing the default interceptor
order as you suggested:
1) (minor) the request_locale parameter will not be removed from the
request before params are applied, which might lead to some confusion
regarding log output
2) (major) the type conversion for locale dependent parameters such as
date and numbers will not regard the set locale. This would be a very
inconsistent behaviour, because the user would surely expect to have the
locale be applied to the conversion

- Rene

--
René Gielen
IT-Neering.net

Re: Now that struts-master is done, going to start 2.1.7 release

Posted by Andreas Joseph Krogh <an...@officenet.no>.
On Tuesday 05 May 2009 02:33:14 pm Wes Wannemacher wrote:
> Unless anyone has anything they want to commit first...
>
> I'll give it a couple of hours while I read the docs on releasing.

I don't want to hold the release, but I noticed this:

Enabling this in struts.xml makes it possible to have "named-variable" wildcard-mappings for namespaces:

	<bean type="com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.PatternMatcher" name="namedVariablePatternMatcher" class="com.opensymphony.xwork2.util.NamedVariablePatternMatcher"/>
	<constant name="struts.patternMatcher" value="namedVariablePatternMatcher"/>

You can have namespaces like:
	<package name="mypackage" extends="struts-default" namespace="/myns/{request_locale}">

And it will set the request-locale using the i18n-interceptor to whatever is set in {request_locale}. You have to place the i18n-interceptor *after* the params-interceptor, which requires overriding the default interceptor-stack.

This is very cool and makes it possible to easily switch locale without having to code for it and keeping your struts2-config consistent. It could, however, benefit from better documentation, it's pretty hard finding out that this is possible asking Mr. Google. Maybe mentioning it in the "wildcard mapping"-section would be a good place?

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <an...@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / CEO

Re: Now that struts-master is done, going to start 2.1.7 release

Posted by Rene Gielen <gi...@it-neering.net>.
We should consider _not_ renaming the main artfact from xwork to
xwork-core, since this will introduce all kinds of trouble like we have
with the renaming from spring-mock to spring-test (2.0 to 2.5).
Introducing a differnt name for the main jar will cause many projects
with direct xwork dependencies defined to integrate both artifacts in
the same deployment.

Since for now the factored out submodules are required rather than
optional transitive dependencies for the "core" jar, there is no real
advantage in renaming the main artifact. Resolving newer xwork
dependencies would just cause to also resolve the new add-on jars as
transitive dependency, which is then transparent for the user. Those
wanting to take advantage of a slim xwork-annotations jar for their
domain model artifact could explicitly bind to it rather than "full"
xwork and would be fine then.

Cel: +49-(0)177-3194448
http://twitter.com/rgielen

Re: Now that struts-master is done, going to start 2.1.7 release

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
it is fixed now, update xwork-core and struts-core and it should work.

musachy

Posted by Leonard Broman <fi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de> wrote:
> Wes,
>
> yes, we now have multiple artifacts in XWork. The former xwork-VERSION.jar
> file
> has been renamed to xwork-core-VERSION.jar.
> Maybe this simple change would fix the break, I'll have a look at this
> later today.
> So, I think changeing the struts pom.xml should solve the problem.
>
> later,
> Rainer

That doesn't seem like enough. I updated poms to use xwork-core and it
seems like some of the classes that were shaded before are now gone.
The only poms that point to xwork are the core and assembly pom. Here
is what I'm getting when I try to compile by pointing to xwork-core -

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Form.java:[39,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/DoubleSelect.java:[27,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Text.java:[33,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Property.java:[30,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/ServletUrlRenderer.java:[34,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Anchor.java:[31,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/interceptor/validation/JSONValidationInterceptor.java:[34,36]
package org.apache.commons.lang.xwork does not exist

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Form.java:[164,17]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.Form

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/DoubleSelect.java:[65,11]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.DoubleSelect

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Text.java:[154,12]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.Text

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Property.java:[159,18]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringEscapeUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.Property

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Property.java:[162,18]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringEscapeUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.Property

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/ServletUrlRenderer.java:[92,13]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.ServletUrlRenderer

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/ServletUrlRenderer.java:[98,16]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.ServletUrlRenderer

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/Anchor.java:[109,16]
cannot find symbol
symbol  : variable StringUtils
location: class org.apache.struts2.components.Anchor

/home/wesw/data/struts/struts2/core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/interceptor/validation/JSONValidationInterceptor.java:[179,22]

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Wes,

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Rainer,

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.
Yep, agreed...

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Okay, that should be fine... At one point last week, I pointed Struts
2 to use Xwork 2.1.3, so we need to point it back to 2.1.4-SNAPSHOT,
if anyone has the source handy.

-Wes

Posted by Rainer Hermanns <he...@aixcept.de>.

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I went ahead and marked WW-3110 for 2.1.8. I'll take a look at ww-3103
right now.

-Wes

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jordi Fernandez <jo...@esilog.com>.