Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net> on 2003/02/21 19:43:39 UTC

finishing cvs2svn

As you might have guessed from my recent SWIG build woes... :-)

I'm trying to gather the disparate strands of cvs2svn development and
finish the thing already.  Even though it's not a 1.0 necessity from
Subversion's point of view, it's still something we'll need for
Subversion to see widespread adoption.

Here's what I know about right now:

  1. Marko Macek has a branch, cvs2svn-mmacek/, which contains some
     improvements he made to cvs2svn.  These need to be reviewed and
     possibly incorporated.  Among other things, there is code for
     handling branches and tags.

  2. We have some issues filed, now grouped together in the
     "cvs2svn-*" milestones:

        1106 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn: control chars in CVS logs not handled
         983 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn.py: Non-ASCII characters garbled
        1105 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn doesn't respect executable bit
        1115 cvs2svn-opt cvs2svn.py should discover moves/copies

     (Issue #1105 is also addressed on Marko's branch.)

  3. Two patches that were posted to this list:

        Marko Macek:
          "cvs2svn optimized tag/branch conversion (work in progress)"

        Michael Wood:
          "cvs2svn/README"  (just a quick doc tweak)

     (Maybe Marko's posted patch is already incorporated in his
     branch?  Don't know yet, but that'll be easy to figure out.)

So, anyone know of anything else out there?  Speak now or forever hold
your peace :-).

-Karl

Re: finishing cvs2svn

Posted by Marko Macek <Ma...@gmx.net>.
Karl Fogel wrote:

>  1. Marko Macek has a branch, cvs2svn-mmacek/, which contains some
>     improvements he made to cvs2svn.  These need to be reviewed and
>     possibly incorporated.  Among other things, there is code for
>     handling branches and tags.
>

>  3. Two patches that were posted to this list:
>
>        Marko Macek:
>          "cvs2svn optimized tag/branch conversion (work in progress)"
>

>     (Maybe Marko's posted patch is already incorporated in his
>     branch?  Don't know yet, but that'll be easy to figure out.)

It's not, cause it's slightly buggy. I have a fixed version which I'll
post tomorrow after some more testing.

I didn't get much feedback on it, though.

Regards,
Mark

Re: finishing cvs2svn

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> writes:
> 4. It would really be nice to have a regression test for at least a simple
> CVS conversion to Subversion.  That would at least test the Python SWIG
> interfaces from cvs2svn to Subversion and tell the developers very quickly
> when any changing Subversion interfaces breaks cvs2svn.

Yep, tests are part of this (looks like Marko Macek has already
started on that too, good).

-K

Re: finishing cvs2svn

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Karl Fogel wrote:

> As you might have guessed from my recent SWIG build woes... :-)
>
> I'm trying to gather the disparate strands of cvs2svn development and
> finish the thing already.  Even though it's not a 1.0 necessity from
> Subversion's point of view, it's still something we'll need for
> Subversion to see widespread adoption.
>
> Here's what I know about right now:
>
>   1. Marko Macek has a branch, cvs2svn-mmacek/, which contains some
>      improvements he made to cvs2svn.  These need to be reviewed and
>      possibly incorporated.  Among other things, there is code for
>      handling branches and tags.
>
>   2. We have some issues filed, now grouped together in the
>      "cvs2svn-*" milestones:
>
>         1106 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn: control chars in CVS logs not handled
>          983 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn.py: Non-ASCII characters garbled
>         1105 cvs2svn-1.0 cvs2svn doesn't respect executable bit
>         1115 cvs2svn-opt cvs2svn.py should discover moves/copies
>
>      (Issue #1105 is also addressed on Marko's branch.)
>
>   3. Two patches that were posted to this list:
>
>         Marko Macek:
>           "cvs2svn optimized tag/branch conversion (work in progress)"
>
>         Michael Wood:
>           "cvs2svn/README"  (just a quick doc tweak)
>
>      (Maybe Marko's posted patch is already incorporated in his
>      branch?  Don't know yet, but that'll be easy to figure out.)
>
> So, anyone know of anything else out there?  Speak now or forever hold
> your peace :-).

4. It would really be nice to have a regression test for at least a simple
CVS conversion to Subversion.  That would at least test the Python SWIG
interfaces from cvs2svn to Subversion and tell the developers very quickly
when any changing Subversion interfaces breaks cvs2svn.

I've started on such a script but I'm still learning the ropes and it
might take a bit to figure it all out.  Someone could probably put
together such a regression test much more quickly than I could.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt