Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2003/09/08 19:37:01 UTC

Only one way to have same build reqs?

When I originally started setting up my build environment, it seems that
the only maven.xml or projects.properties files that are ever used are the
ones that are included as part of the module.  So if I have separated my
project from one monolithic build to something like this:

guiapp/core
       /loader
       /tools
       /plugin
       /blocks/browser
              /user
              /document
              /help

I run into an issue if I want to set the properties for the repositories.
I would like to set up the repositories to look on my d-haven.org site,
then look up on the apache site, and lastly the ibiblio site.

Currently, the only way to use the same properties file is to have a maven.xml
file for each module.  The only way to avoid having a minimal maven.xml file
just to include the properties is to copy the properties files all over the
place.  Even if the project.xml files <import/> settings from another file.

In my project, I have a central maven.xml which is used to manage the reactor
builds and create an overall package that includes all the modules.  I also
have the same set of properties to use over and over for each module so that
the JavaDocs are similar and the same repository resolution scheme is used.

What surprised me is that if I ran the reactor build, my central properties
file was used and not the local properties files.  If I went to the local
modules to build, I used the local properties file and the central one was
ignored.  Even though the project.xml files all imported the central one
at the root directory.

Maven needs to be more predictable in regards to how it resolves the properties
files and the maven.xml files.  Is there any way to merge the two properties
files together so that if there is ever an <import/> tag in the project.xml
file the associated project.properties file will be incorporated as well?
That would greatly simplify the amount of duplication I need to perform right
now.  I also would like to only have to implement a maven.xml if I only want
to customize some aspect of a particular module.  That way, whether I am using
the reactor or building locally, I have the same exact behavior all the time.

Re: Only one way to have same build reqs?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
See MAVEN-463.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting