Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Alain RODRIGUEZ <ar...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/23 11:18:08 UTC

Operating on large cluster

Hi,

I was wondering about how do you guys handle a large cluster (50+ machines).

I mean there is sometime you need to change configuration (cassandra.yaml)
or send a command to one, some or all nodes (cleanup, upgradesstables,
setstramthoughput or whatever).

So far we have been using things like custom scripts for repairs or any
routine maintenance and cssh for specific and one shot actions on the
cluster. But I guess this doesn't really scale, I guess we coul use pssh
instead. For configuration changes we use Capistrano that might scale
properly.

So I would like to known, what are the methods that operators use on large
cluster out there ? Have some of you built some open sourced "cluster
management" interfaces or scripts that could make things easier while
operating on large Cassandra clusters ?

Alain

Re: Operating on large cluster

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alain,

We use Puppet and introducing Ansible at Sematext.  Not for Cassandra, but
for other similar tech.

Otis

Posted by Roni Balthazar <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We use Puppet to manage our Cassandra configuration. (http://puppetlabs.com)

You can use Cluster SSH to send commands to the server as well.

Another good choice is Saltstack.

Regards,

Roni

Posted by Ranjib Dey <de...@gmail.com>.
We use chef for configuration management and blender for on demand jobs

https://github.com/opscode/chef
https://github.com/PagerDuty/blender

Posted by Jens Rantil <je...@tink.se>.
Hi,

While I am nowhere close to 50+ machines I've been using Saltstack for both configuration management as well as remote execution. I has worked great for me and supposedly scales to 1000+ machines.

Cheers,

Jens

—
Sent from Mailbox

Posted by Eric Plowe <er...@gmail.com>.
I am a big fan of perl-ssh-tools (https://github.com/tobert/perl-ssh-tools)
to let me manage my nodes and SVN to store configs.

~Eric Plowe

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.