Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Aaron Smith <Aa...@kzoo.edu> on 2007/09/13 15:36:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules

            Simple question.  Hopefully.  If I have an existing Apache
installation, that was compiled from source, and the source tree is
still intact on the system, is it possible to compile and install a
couple of additional modules without re-installing all of apache?  I'd
like to add a few modules such as mod_ldap, mod_auth_ldap, and
mod_webdav to an existing Apache web server with as little disruption as
possible.  Would it work to do a configure, then a make, then do a make
install from within the modules sub-directory?  My gut feeling is that
this would NOT work as mod_ldap requires ldap to be built into apr-util
so I bet I'd have to re-install the apr-util stuff.

Aaron

RE: [users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules

Posted by Aaron Smith <Aa...@kzoo.edu>.
Yes, well, the operable word there is "SHOULD".  I've been attempting to
recompile apache on this server for a week now with no end of troubles.
Was looking for some other way of accomplishing my task but oh well.

>             Simple question.  Hopefully.  If I have an existing Apache
> installation, that was compiled from source, and the source tree is
still
> intact on the system, is it possible to compile and install a couple
of
> additional modules without re-installing all of apache?  I'd like to
add a
> few modules such as mod_ldap, mod_auth_ldap, and mod_webdav to an
existing
> Apache web server with as little disruption as possible.  Would it
work to
> do a configure, then a make, then do a make install from within the
modules
> sub-directory?  My gut feeling is that this would NOT work as mod_ldap
> requires ldap to be built into apr-util so I bet I'd have to
re-install the
> apr-util stuff.

For simple modules, you can use example 4 here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/dso.html#usage
to install using apxs.

But you are correct in being skeptical about that technique in this
case, since all the modules you talk about are complicated and require
sub-modules or libraries. You are much better off recompiling the
whole server. But this should be relatively easy. Just follow the
upgrading instructions here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/install.html#upgrading

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing New Apache Modules