Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Kirk Lund <kl...@apache.org> on 2017/09/22 21:11:56 UTC

Please don't commit broken javadocs

I'm seeing newly broken javadocs being committed.

:geode-core:javadoc
/Users/klund/dev/gemfire/open/geode-core/src/main/java/org/apache/geode/internal/cache/tier/sockets/MessageExecutionContext.java:91:
warning - @return tag has no arguments.
1 warning

:geode-protobuf:javadoc/tmp/build/ae3c03f4/geode/geode-protobuf/src/main/java/org/apache/geode/protocol/protobuf/utilities/ProtobufUtilities.java:101:
warning - Tag @link: reference not found: BasicTypes.Entry

:geode-assembly:docs
/Users/klund/dev/gemfire/open/geode-protobuf/src/main/java/org/apache/geode/protocol/protobuf/utilities/ProtobufUtilities.java:101:
warning - Tag @link: reference not found: BasicTypes.Entry
1 warning

(The assembly module seem to duplicate javadocs -- I have no idea why but
that could be contributing to our stupidly long build time)

My personal IntelliJ configuration is setup to NOT automatically create
javadoc stubs for me -- if you enable that but don't fill those in then
they generate build warnings like the above.

You can also enable IntelliJ inspections to mark broken javadocs with RED
or YELLOW which can help avoid committing broken javadocs.

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: Please don't commit broken javadocs

Posted by Galen O'Sullivan <go...@pivotal.io>.
We'll move everything to internal soon, before public release.

We have a ticket to fix the Javadocs and the links will be removed soon as
well. The broken links are for generated files that don't seem to have been
created when the javadoc task runs.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.