Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org> on 2018/07/05 14:45:01 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-331 Add default implementation to close() and configure() for Serializer, Deserializer and Serde

hi all,

I would like to start voting on "KIP-331 Add default implementation to close() and configure() for Serializer, Deserializer and Serde"

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-331+Add+default+implementation+to+close%28%29+and+configure%28%29+for+Serializer%2C+Deserializer+and+Serde

Cheers,
Chia-Ping

Re: [VOTE] KIP-331 Add default implementation to close() and configure() for Serializer, Deserializer and Serde

Posted by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io>.
Thank you!

I'm +1 (non-binding)

Posted by Richard Yu <yr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Nice KIP!
+1 (non-binding)
-Richard

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the KIP!

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks +1 binding

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
(just bump)

Posted by vito jeng <vi...@is-land.com.tw>.
Thanks for the KIP!

+1(non-binding)

---
Vito

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
hi Ismael

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
> Part of the motivation for this KIP is to make these interfaces functional
> interfaces. But I think that may not be desirable due to the method that
> passes headers. So, it doesn't make sense to discuss two separate changes
> to the same interfaces in isolation, we should figure out how we want them
> to work holistically.

Got it. Let us keep the discussion in KIP-336.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/21155b13ef88bb04ae084d5c62a72fdecf8851ebf9a7fa2da0215d96@%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Thanks, +1 (binding).

Posted by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the reply.
I think my question may have been ambiguous.
I was confirming that there would be just one method *without* a default
implementation, and therefore that the lambda I quoted would actually work.
Thanks,
-John

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Roesler <jo...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
KIP-336[1] has been merged so it is time to activate this thread (KIP-331[2]). Last discussion is about "Should we add FunctionalInterface annotation to Serializer and Deserializer". In discussion of KIP-336 we mentioned that we probably add the default implementation for headless method later. Hence, adding FunctionalInterface annotation is not suitable now.

KIP-331 has removed the change of adding FunctionalInterface annotation. Please take a look again.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=87298242
[2] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-331+Add+default+implementation+to+close%28%29+and+configure%28%29+for+Serializer%2C+Deserializer+and+Serde

Cheers,
Chia-Ping

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the KIP! +1 from me.

-Bill

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
All,

Posted by Chia-Ping Tsai <ch...@apache.org>.
We have following votes:

non-binding
1. John Roesler
2. vito jeng
3. Richard Yu
4. Bill Bejeck
5. Satish Duggana

binding
1. Matthias J. Sax
2. Ismael Juma
3. Damian Guy

KIP-331 has passed. Thanks for all votes