Posted to dev@etch.apache.org by James Dixson <di...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/30 21:47:32 UTC

GIT mirror anyone?

I personally have been moving all of my day-to-day development from
subversion to git (http://git-scm/com).  I find it much easier to
manage multiple branches of development and experiment and try other
folks patches.

I have noticed recently that the infrastructure team has been
experimenting with GIT mirrors of apache subversion projects.

The purpose of the git mirror would be two fold:
 1. To have a pre-cloned GIT repository for Etch
 2. To allow other public GIT repos to reference the mirrored repository

#2 would be particularly helpful for folks out there experimenting
with Etch bindings/transports or potential new Etch core services
(like Etch Router) to do publicize their work more readily, (IMHO of
course :-) )

Is there anyone else besides myself that would be interested in a
public git mirror of the etch repository? Are there any objections to
requesting a GIT mirror from the infrastructure team?

NOTE: subversion is still the final source of truth, if it is not
accepted/checked-in to the subversion tree is not yet part of the
official etch codebase.

thoughts?

--
james

Re: GIT mirror anyone?

Posted by James Dixson <di...@gmail.com>.
Any thoughts on this? To clarify, i am not asking anyone on this list
to actually configure a git mirror, rather I am asking if anyone would
be interested in using a git mirror if it where set up.

--
james

Re: GIT mirror anyone?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
It is important to understand that the ASF at the moment has a policy
against DSCM, in so far that patch sharing between community members
are frowned upon. If the patches only circulate on mailing lists, then
there is a bit of mitigating circumstance, and the only accepted use
at the moment is to use Git for managing your own work and then use
the gitsvn bridge. Reasons are revolving around the fact that the
mentioned bridge will loose commit information if patches are shared,
and such history is legally very important to the ASF.

There has been endless discussions on Members' list whether we should
open up for Git use more, or even change from Svn to Git as *the* SCM
system, but since IDE tooling on Java for Git is still relatively
shaky compared to the Svn equivalents, I personally think that such
change in ASF is a few years away at least.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: GIT mirror anyone?

Posted by René Barraza <re...@cisco.com>.