Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Nigel Daley <nd...@mac.com> on 2007/03/28 00:05:14 UTC

committers are all listed

Hi Geir,

Looking at http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html
it looks like all the initial committers for River are now
listed.

What is the next step?  What are we waiting on?

Many thanks,
Nige

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:05 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> Just another note that the review of our Incubator
>> Board Report for March (below) raised a question
>> on getting the initial codebase submitted.
>> I think once the committer/PPMC stuff gets set up,
>> we should (finally) be ready to go.
>> -Jim
>> Subject:  Incubator March 2007 Board Report
>>> === River ===
>>>
>>> iPMC Reviewers: jukka, yoavs, jim, noel
>> :
>> :
>>> iPMC questions / comments:
>>>
>>>  * jukka: It's taking some time for the initial codebases to be
>>> submitted.
>>> Any blockers in the process?
:
:
> If I was forced to do so I think we have 2 blockers: the first one is
> that Sun doesn't show a clear sign of putting the code and issues
> at the
> gate (of which I have no doubt they will do eventually)

We (Sun) filed a CCLA Schedule B for River back on January 16.
There were some questions (from Sun legal) and miscommunication
on the some of the other legal things that finally got resolved two
weeks ago. All the Sun initial committers immediately filed ICLAs
and we've been waiting on things getting setup so we could submit
the starter kit and test code.

Just wanted to clarify the situation.

-Jim

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 3/30/07, Jim Hurley <Ji...@sun.com> wrote:
> My hope, though, was that this voting (and related discussion)
> would take place with the actual full initial committers and
> PPMC in place. It would not only assure that actual source
> work could be done once the code is accepted, but also
> would help us feel more integrated into Apache and feeling
> some success working as an initial incubating project.

I very much agree. Let's hope to get the administrative bits out of
the way ASAP, they've been dragging for quite a while already.

> I'd like to get that setup before we submit the starter kit and
> test code. Sooner is better than waiting, though, so if it can't
> be setup relatively quickly, we could move ahead on submitting.
> Again, though, since committers wouldn't actually be setup
> the work that could happen after that would be limited.

I compiled a set of template account requests for all the people who
need the committer accounts. One of the mentors needs to send the
requests for processing, but we can expedite the process by checking
that all the bits of information are correct and in place. Once a
committer request is sent, it normally gets processed in a few days
after which the only remaining piece of action is for a mentor to
grant the required svn karma.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for the clarifications, Jukka.

I'm (personally) fine with continuing with the Service UI
vote as started. It's obviously a step in the right direction.
Thanks for getting it started.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,

>> Any idea who is supposed to answer this?
>>
>> If I was forced to do so I think we have 2 blockers: the first one is
>> that Sun doesn't show a clear sign of putting the code and issues
>> at the
>> gate (of which I have no doubt they will do eventually) and second I
>> feel that we don't get the level of mentoring that this group of
>> people
>> apparently requires and that no action is taken on things that
>> require
>> action.
>
> I'd be happy to lend a hand. What we need is the source code submitted
> as a packaged attachment in a Jira issue and a software grant that
> covers the submitted code. This is a task for Sun and for any other
> parties from whom code will be imported. I can help with the details
> if needed.
>
> This shouldn't be blocked by administrational issues in setting up the
> committership and the PPMC.

Hi Jukka-

I appreciate you getting involved and helping out. Thanks.

Posted by Juan Ramirez <Ju...@Sun.COM>.
Jukka Zitting wrote On 03/31/07 00:01,:

> Preferred userid:         ?

1st choice: ramirjf
2nd choice: juan

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Oops forgot to mention the alternative.

Preferred userid:   marbro
Alternative userid: markbrouwer
--
Mark

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Thanks Jukka,

> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Mark Brouwer
> Forwarding email address: mark.brouwer@cheiron.org
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

Preferred userid: marbro

Also I would like to take the opportunity to bring this posting under
your attention Jukka, we haven't had an answer yet:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200701.mbox/%3c9890BC2F-2EC9-498E-9F3B-512E97CA8E74@mac.com%3e

and follow up by Jim Hurley

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200701.mbox/%3cA669A5AD-4716-4600-B88A-D872B9D4CEA3@sun.com%3e

For any details about what is required I think Nigel can answer any
question.
--
Mark

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Fred Oliver <Fr...@Sun.COM>.

Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Fred Oliver
> Forwarding email address: fred.oliver@sun.com
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

Preferred userid:       foliver
Alternate userid : 	fko

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Robert Resendes <Ro...@Sun.COM>.

> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Robert Resendes
> Forwarding email address: robert.resendes@sun.com
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

Preferred userid : resendes
Alternate userid : rresendes

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by John McClain <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                John McClain
> Forwarding email address: john.mcclain@sun.com
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

Preferred userid : pdp8
Alternate userid : jmcclain

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
> Full name:                Robert Scheifler
> Forwarding email address: bob.scheifler@sun.com

Preferred userid:         rscheifler

need for alternate is improbable unless Rinaldo Bodega is impersonating me ;-)

- Bob

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Dan Creswell <da...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/29/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/29/07, Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org> wrote:
>> > IIRC Geir requested accounts for all the initial committers, but so far
>> > no feedback on the status of these.
>>
>> I'll check the current status.
>
> Unfortunately the committer accounts do not exist yet. To expedite the
> process I compiled a set of account request templates for all the
> people who need the committer accounts. The request templates are
> below, see http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#newcommitter for the
> background.
>
> Please check that your information is correct. I matched the list of
> initial committers in the River proposal against the information on
> received ICLAs to the best of my ability, but I'm only human so errors
> may have crept in.
>
> The account request template also asks for a preferred userid. This
> will be your svn and unix user account and the user part of your
> user@apache.org email address. You can select a preferred userid, but
> please check for collisions against the current accounts at
> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html. You should also give an
> acceptable alternative in case there's a last-minute collision against
> some concurrent account request.
>
> NOTE: There is already a committer account for another Peter Jones
> (userid peterjones). He's a committer for the Apache CXF project. I
> assume this is a separate person.
>
> NOTE: Nigel Daley already has a committer account (userid nigel), with
> commit access to the Apache Hadoop project. He only needs the extra
> karma for River.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting
>
> ----
>
> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Dan Creswell
> Forwarding email address: dan@dcrdev.demon.co.uk
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

First choice userid: dancres
Second choice:	dancres1969

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Vinod Johnson - Sun Microsystems <Th...@Sun.COM>.

> ----
>
> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Thomas Johnson
> Forwarding email address: thomas.johnson@sun.com
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> ----
First choice - vinod
Second choice - vinodjohnson

--
- vinod

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Preferred userid:     jhurley
         Alt:  jimhurley
         2nd Alt:  ziggyhurley    (don't ask ;-))

Full name:                Jim Hurley
Forwarding email address: jim.hurley@sun.com

Thank you, Jukka, for getting this started.

-Jim

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Peter Jones <pe...@sun.com>.
On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 08:01:20AM +0300, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Please check that your information is correct. I matched the list of
> initial committers in the River proposal against the information on
> received ICLAs to the best of my ability, but I'm only human so errors
> may have crept in.
>
> The account request template also asks for a preferred userid. This
> will be your svn and unix user account and the user part of your
> user@apache.org email address. You can select a preferred userid, but
> please check for collisions against the current accounts at
> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html. You should also give an
> acceptable alternative in case there's a last-minute collision against
> some concurrent account request.
>
> NOTE: There is already a committer account for another Peter Jones
> (userid peterjones). He's a committer for the Apache CXF project. I
> assume this is a separate person.

Correct, that's not me.

> Preferred userid:         ?
> Full name:                Peter Jones
> Forwarding email address: peter.jones@sun.com
>
> Requested UNIX groups:
>
> Vote:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200612.mbox/%3cBD0C8D42-60D9-4242-AD33-2692F869667E@pobox.com%3e

Preferred userid:	peter.jones
Alternate userid:	peter_jones

I am assuming that "." is an allowed character because there is
already (exactly) one userid on the above-referenced committers page
with a "." (grant.monroe).  There are a few more with underscores, so
I gather if "." is not OK, then "_" is OK as an alternative.

My preference is "peter.jones" just because I already (for better or
for worse) created my JIRA account at issues.apache.org with that user
name (after having discovered the existing account for "peterjones").

Thanks,

-- Peter

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Bill Venners <bv...@artima.com>.
first choice userid: bvenners
second choice: billvenners
third choice: takemetotheriverdipmeinthewater

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@sun.com>.
first choice userid: waldo

Posted by John McClain <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Brian Murphy wrote:
> By the way, thanks for all the support you've been giving
> to the project.

+1

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Brian Murphy <bt...@gmail.com>.
On 3/31/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately the committer accounts do not exist yet. To expedite the
> process I compiled a set of account request templates for all the
> people who need the committer accounts. The request templates are
> below,

> Please check that your information is correct.

> The account request template also asks for a preferred userid. This
> will be your svn and unix user account and the user part of your
> user@apache.org email address. You can select a preferred userid, but
> please check for collisions against the current accounts at
> http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html.

Hi Jukka,

I checked for name collisons and found none. But
there is a correction necessary in my forwarding e-mail
address.

By the way, thanks for all the support you've been giving
to the project.

Regards,
Brian Murphy

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ronald J Mann <Ro...@Sun.COM>.
rjmann would suffice for me. Alternately, tailwagger. Address is correct.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
> > > IIRC Geir requested accounts for all the initial committers, but so far
> > > no feedback on the status of these.
> >
> > I'll check the current status.
> >

> I will go ahead and resubmit root requests this eve, after checking to
> see if any of these have already been created

Done.

Phil

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Bob Scheifler <Bo...@Sun.COM>.
Phil Steitz wrote:
>> I will go ahead and resubmit root requests this eve, after checking to
>> see if any of these have already been created
>>
> Done.

Thanks!

- Bob

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/29/07, Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org> wrote:
> > For another contribution, namely ServiceUI, the code has been submitted
> > already a long time ago and is attached to
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-10. This posting
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200701.mbox/%3c68E32F29-CEAC-468D-BAAA-7C00AAB1999D@pobox.com%3e
> > indicates that 2 months ago the idea was that one of the mentors should
> > initiate this vote, as of today no action took place. Also we agreed the
> > initial PPMC would be composed of the initial committers list (that
> > includes the mentors IIRC).
>
> Let's take up from where things were left; I just posted the vote call. :-)
>
> I quickly checked the software grant and CCLA records but couldn't see
> an entry from Artima. Was it already submitted and I just missed it,
> or is it still needed?

I just checked again and can't find either a CCLA or grant covering
the Artima contribution.  Probably best to resubmit.  This can now be
done via email (of scanned doc):

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,

>> Any idea who is supposed to answer this?
>>
>> If I was forced to do so I think we have 2 blockers: the first one is
>> that Sun doesn't show a clear sign of putting the code and issues at the
>> gate (of which I have no doubt they will do eventually) and second I
>> feel that we don't get the level of mentoring that this group of people
>> apparently requires and that no action is taken on things that require
>> action.
>
> I'd be happy to lend a hand. What we need is the source code submitted
> as a packaged attachment in a Jira issue and a software grant that
> covers the submitted code. This is a task for Sun and for any other
> parties from whom code will be imported. I can help with the details
> if needed.

For another contribution, namely ServiceUI, the code has been submitted
already a long time ago and is attached to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RIVER-10. This posting
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-river-dev/200701.mbox/%3c68E32F29-CEAC-468D-BAAA-7C00AAB1999D@pobox.com%3e
indicates that 2 months ago the idea was that one of the mentors should
initiate this vote, as of today no action took place. Also we agreed the
initial PPMC would be composed of the initial committers list (that
includes the mentors IIRC).

IIRC Geir requested accounts for all the initial committers, but so far
no feedback on the status of these.

> This shouldn't be blocked by administrational issues in setting up the
> committership and the PPMC.

Thanks for helping out where you can Jukka,
--
Mark

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mark Brouwer <ma...@cheiron.org>.
Jim Hurley wrote:
> Just another note that the review of our Incubator
> Board Report for March (below) raised a question
> on getting the initial codebase submitted.
>
> I think once the committer/PPMC stuff gets set up,
> we should (finally) be ready to go.
>
> -Jim
>
> Subject:  Incubator March 2007 Board Report
>> === River ===
>>
>> iPMC Reviewers: jukka, yoavs, jim, noel
> :
> :
>> iPMC questions / comments:
>>
>>  * jukka: It's taking some time for the initial codebases to be
>> submitted.
>> Any blockers in the process?

Any idea who is supposed to answer this?

If I was forced to do so I think we have 2 blockers: the first one is
that Sun doesn't show a clear sign of putting the code and issues at the
gate (of which I have no doubt they will do eventually) and second I
feel that we don't get the level of mentoring that this group of people
apparently requires and that no action is taken on things that require
action.

If I had to pick a metaphor it reminds me of a school party of 10
year old kids where the girls try to get the boys on the dancing floor,
except that there is a shortage of girls here ...

No offense intended, but it is kind of frustrating for me in my Elvis suit.
--
Mark

Re: committers are all listed

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.

Subject:  Incubator March 2007 Board Report

Posted by Jim Hurley <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Nige-

Yes - we're all set with all the initial committers/PPMC
members having submitted the ICLAs.

Geir is (I hope) in the process of setting up the accounts,
mailing lists, etc. so we can get going.

-Jim