Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Fran Simon <fs...@sciquest.com> on 2002/10/25 16:13:05 UTC

Out of Memory

Hi All,

I have been digging through the archives looking at all of the out of memory
problems and
suggestions and have seen many solutions, but I am not sure how to do some
of them,
there are no real examples.

I think the best approach is to breakup your page sequences but am not sure
how to go
about it.  I was hoping someone could show me a example.  For instance how
do I
determine the number of rows per page when I have to deal with hyphenation
or wrapping?
I assume I have to take font size into account as well.

Basically what I am doing is generating a FOP document from a XML template.
We use
this for generating reports.  I am not using stylesheets to transform the
xml because the
xml is just a template of where the data comes from and what the report
should look like.

Generally the report is one table with some header information.  The table
could be 2 to
50000 rows depending on the data source.  It made sens to me to make a
single page
sequence which contained a table.  The table will have summary rows which I
write out
at the bottom of the table.

If I generate multiple pages sequences I assume I will have to break it into
many tables
which I can do.  But how do I determine when and where to break it and still
make it
look like a single table???

Any examples or information would be really helpful!!!!!!!
Thanks

Fran Simon
Sciquest, Inc.

RE: Out of Memory

RE: Out of Memory

Posted by Victor Mote <vi...@outfitr.com>.
Fran Simon wrote:

<--- Start --->
[...]

Breaking into smaller page sequences is often the best way to avoid memory
problems. However, in your case, that does not sound possible without
arbitrary page breaks in your data, which would seem, from your description,
to be unwanted. In your case, I would recommend using one of the other
approaches, such as making more memory available to the JVM.

Victor Mote