Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1999/06/19 21:26:06 UTC

Office 2000 Compatibility

So, does anyone know what the deal is w/r/t Office 2000 support?  I seem
to recall that DAV was the protocol O2K was going to use to do its remote
publishing, but weren't some details changed at the last minute?  Greg,
what's the status of mod_dav?

I'd really like to get some sort of "statement" we can put on the site
about this, as I've gotten several inquiries about this, like the one
below.

	Brian

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Keith Wannamaker wrote:
> I am within two weeks of upgrading mod_dav to a beta class 2 DAV server - one
> fully interoperable with O2K.  Greg has already committed my mod_dav port to
> Win32, along with much preliminary locking code.

Keith has submitted even more code, but I'm out of town right now. It will
go in around the 28th of June. Keith's assistance with the locking means
that mod_dav 1.0 will have both class 1 and class 2 functionality. (thx!)

> Greg has mentioned doing the next release of mod_dav mid-summer; this fits well
> with my schedule, giving us several weeks to test and tweak.  I fully expect
> this release of mod_dav to be a stable class 2 DAV server, with verified
> interoperability with O2K.

Minor correction: the next release (0.9.9) will appear just after 1.3.7.
The final 1.0 release should be mid-summer.

And O2K compat is a requirement for the 1.0 release.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Office 2000 Compatibility

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.
On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Keith Wannamaker wrote:
> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > So, does anyone know what the deal is w/r/t Office 2000 support?  I seem
> > to recall that DAV was the protocol O2K was going to use
>
> mod_dav currently implements a class 1 DAV server - that is, one that supports
> the minimum requirements of RFC 2518 without locking.  Thus, O2K opens documents
> through mod_dav read-only.
>
> I am within two weeks of upgrading mod_dav to a beta class 2 DAV server - one
> fully interoperable with O2K.  Greg has already committed my mod_dav port to
> Win32, along with much preliminary locking code.
>
> Greg has mentioned doing the next release of mod_dav mid-summer; this fits well
> with my schedule, giving us several weeks to test and tweak.  I fully expect
> this release of mod_dav to be a stable class 2 DAV server, with verified
> interoperability with O2K.

Woohoo!  That's cool.  Thanks.

	Brian

Re: Office 2000 Compatibility

Posted by Keith Wannamaker <kr...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> So, does anyone know what the deal is w/r/t Office 2000 support?  I seem
> to recall that DAV was the protocol O2K was going to use

mod_dav currently implements a class 1 DAV server - that is, one that supports
the minimum requirements of RFC 2518 without locking.  Thus, O2K opens documents
through mod_dav read-only.

I am within two weeks of upgrading mod_dav to a beta class 2 DAV server - one
fully interoperable with O2K.  Greg has already committed my mod_dav port to
Win32, along with much preliminary locking code.

Greg has mentioned doing the next release of mod_dav mid-summer; this fits well
with my schedule, giving us several weeks to test and tweak.  I fully expect
this release of mod_dav to be a stable class 2 DAV server, with verified
interoperability with O2K.

--
Keith Wannamaker
IBM HTTP Server Development