Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl> on 2014/05/23 16:59:26 UTC

[FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

Hi all,

I would like to take a look at what it would take to start implementing the
FlatSpark theme in FlexJS. You can have a look at this theme here:

https://github.com/akamud/FlatSpark

As you can see it is released under the Apache 2.0 license. Am I correct in
thinking that (especially with the blessing of the designer) we can "just"
implement the theme in FlexJS (with proper documentation, of course)?

If so, Om, will you help me get under way with FXG -> SVG to try and
implement this in a forward looking, extensible way?

Thanks,

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, yes, you can start using FlatSpark as an external dependency now, but you should probably not take its sources or modification of its sources and put it in our repo without permission of all of the contributors to it.  It sounds like there is more than one contributor.

-Alex

From: Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>>
Date: Friday, May 23, 2014 7:59 AM
To: "dev@flex.apache.org<ma...@flex.apache.org>" <de...@flex.apache.org>>, aharui <ah...@adobe.com>>, "OmPrakash Muppirala (Om)" <bi...@gmail.com>>, "muddibr@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>" <mu...@gmail.com>>
Subject: [FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

I. www.ixsoftware.nl<http://www.ixsoftware.nl>

RE: [FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

Posted by Mahmoud Ali <mu...@gmail.com>.
I agree there is a lot of work to be done for Flex/Mobile, but our customers
ask for a better skin in our Flex applications.

We don't think this should replace the current theme for Flex, it should
come as an option, in fact, we are commited to doing this as one of the
guidelines
<https://github.com/akamud/FlatSpark/wiki/How-to-use-FlatSpark-in-your-project>
of the project.

Yes, we think it would be a great "selling point" if the themes were shared,
as that would be a more smooth transiction from Flex to FlexJS.

Do you think this theme should be the default theme for FlexJS?

-----
Skype: muddibr

Re: [FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

Posted by brunopacola <br...@gmail.com>.
Good news!. The psd is ready:  http://bootflat.github.io/free-psd.html
<http://bootflat.github.io/free-psd.html>

-----
Bruno Pacola
FlatSpark Skin: http://akamud.github.io/FlatSpark

Re: [FlexJS] Use FlatSpark as theme for FlexJS

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> For FlexJS, I think all we want at this point is a PSD in a version that
> can be used to generated FXG if we want to.  Or we'll take FXG and bitmaps.

Actually, an Illustrator file would be best, if that is possible.  If not,
PSD is fine.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Mahmoud Ali <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Angelo Anolin <an...@gmail.com>.
Does the roadmap for the FlatSpark includes providing a way to skin all UI
components of Flex?

I think it would be really good if there's just a simple way to toggle
between the default spark theme and the flat theme when building the
application.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
See other thread on users list called " IOS 7 and Android 4.3 Skinning".

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk/tree/new_android_skins/frameworks/projects/mobiletheme/src/spark/skins/android4

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>Why is that?  Seems like we could just have more choices for folks.
Of course.  Sorry I didn't use the right word.
By "merge", I meant that since iOS7+Android are also skins,  and iOS7 is also flat design,
then we should consider all these skinning work as a whole, and not as separate initiatives and maybe share some work or thoughts.
Makes sense ?

>- would it replace current spark default theme, or come as an option ?
>I would vote for 'option'
OK

Regarding the FlexJS + Flex sharing the same theme, I was rather on the "design" and artwork level, rather than the implementation.
But maybe there is something to do at the implementation level too, or even the compiler.
I thing we will see when starting working on it .

Thank you for the answers.

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Agree.

I think that "regular" Flex would deserve a new Flat design as well.

However, since Flex includes much more components, and also the mobile theme,  we shouldn't underestimate the work to be done.
Also, it would need to be "merged" with the current work done on iOS7+Android by Om.

Questions:
- would it replace current spark default theme, or come as an option ?
- are you ok with FlexJS and Flex sharing the same theme?

WDYT?

Maurice

I am available to help with anything you need. I'm one of the creators of FlatSpark along with akamud and we are very happy with the feedback from everyone. This week has been very hectic!

On the subject of Bootflat for Flex, besides supporting FlexJS, the theme should support the current compiler as well. I see that this is important because it is a way to keep developers excited about the Flex technology.

-----