Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Stortz <js...@quotesmith.com> on 2002/07/24 18:12:28 UTC

RequestDispatcher forward versus response.sendRedirect

Anyone have any hard and fast rules, good links, general info,
do and don't lists, or anything about these two?

We moved from iPlanet 4.1 where we did all redirection with
response.sendRedirect.  That didn't work with tomcat so I
started using the forward method of RequestDispatcher.  Well,
now I need to use a NON relative path to redirect the user
off our site.  While I think response.sendRedirect will work
in this instance I cannot seem to formulate a theory why it works
here and not in other parts of our site.

Does anyone have any information on this I can read, or advice?

Thanks!

Jason