Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Julien Stern <ju...@cryptolog.com> on 2003/05/30 15:41:59 UTC

Managing releases with large projects under Maven

Hi all,

We are now using Maven for all our builds and have just been running
into the following problem:

We have about 30 mavenized modules, which are all built thanks to the
reactor. Naturally most of them depend on others.

Each of the project.xml file is part of its corresponding module
(in the CVS sense). This seemed fairly natural, as one wants to be
able to compile each CVS module in a standalone way.

Now, when we release one module, we tag the module in the CVS
(say RELEASE_1_2_3), and the project.xml file, being part of the CVS
module, is naturally tagged.

Now, here comes the problem (well, you may call it a feature... ;) ) :
because the project.xml file is tagged and specifies all the
dependencies, we need to make a new release of a module each time one of
the _DEPENDENCY_ of a module is released.

This means that if we fix a small bug in one of the "core" module,
we have to recursively make releases for nearly all our modules,
even though no code has been modified in any of them, but only
to reflect the fact that the new "core" library should be used in the
project.xml file.

I'm wondering if some of you have run into a similar issue and how they
are dealing with it.

Sincerely,

--
Julien