Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2007/10/22 16:24:15 UTC

[CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

I can confirm that, finally. I ran a build on a brand new Linux VPS
share with empty maven repo, and it failed.

Now tried to reproduce it on my mac again. Somehow "mvn -U" didn't
make a differemce. So I did rm -rf ~/.m2/repository/ , and now it
happens on my machine too...

Kevin, if you have a fix for that, I'll wait for you to commit it,
otherwise I can fix it myself tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Andrus

Re: [CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.
> Now it works on Windows and Mac. Could you
> please try it again?
Yes, it seems to work everything right now.

Thank you very much for your help.

Ahmed.

Re: [CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 23, 2007, at 2:39 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Now it works on Windows and Mac.

Except for a few Windows-only test failures (which of course are not
Maven related, but rather due to none of the active developers using
windows). So -Dmaven.test.skip=true may be required.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

> That would also require us to switch from Maven to Ant (I am
> already preparing for the cheering applause to this proposition ...
> and having to defend an unpopular Maven build system, as I would
> most likely end up being the person tasked with yet another
> switch :-/)

Absolutely I would not be encouraging this. I don't understand maven,
but it does work (99% of the time) and I for one would prefer you
spent your valuable time on more important things. (If it were my
decision what you spent your time on.)

> +1. I can offer objectstyle.org web server for that since we are
> already using it for dependencies that haven't been officially
> mavenized by their authors, and since hosting third party packages
> on ASF infrastructure could be a bad idea.
>
> BTW, maybe we should raise a question of pros and cons of a non-
> offical repo for ASF projects on the infra (or maybe maven?) list.
> Could get some advice straight from the source.

Not sure that it is necessarily a bad idea since there isn't a
license or copyright issue with redistribution, as long as it doesn't
appear that Apache endorses those libraries. And we might have some
dedicated Cayenne space soon to use...

If it does end up not on Apache.org for whatever reason I'm happy to
help spread the load a bit with the three colo servers I have. Just
let me know if this is helpful.

Ari

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis
phone +61 2 9660 9700
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8

Re: [CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 24, 2007, at 5:18 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> On 10/23/07 8:01 PM, "Aristedes Maniatis" <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>

>> On 23/10/2007, at 9:39 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>
>>> (we need to go through all plugins in the poms and preset the
>>> versions I guess)
>>
>> Except for the fix to the ROP tutorial where the problem was that we
>> were presetting the version and that version was no longer available
>> in the official repository.
>>
>> It is starting to feel like it would be just easier to commit all the
>> libraries we depend on to the Cayenne svn....

That would also require us to switch from Maven to Ant (I am already
preparing for the cheering applause to this proposition ... and
having to defend an unpopular Maven build system, as I would most
likely end up being the person tasked with yet another switch :-/)

> An alternative, but along the same lines, would be to set up our
> own maven
> repository.  It sorta defeats the whole purpose, but if they're
> going to
> purge old versions, seems we may not have a choice.  Otherwise, how
> can
> anyone grab the code from any tag and just build it?
>
> I think this is actually the ultimate stance of the maven folks,
> too.  If
> you require that sort of reliability, you should be running a
> private repo.
> Not much of a sales pitch though.

+1. I can offer objectstyle.org web server for that since we are
already using it for dependencies that haven't been officially
mavenized by their authors, and since hosting third party packages on
ASF infrastructure could be a bad idea.

BTW, maybe we should raise a question of pros and cons of a non-
offical repo for ASF projects on the infra (or maybe maven?) list.
Could get some advice straight from the source.

> Ari, do you know if this is common practice?  I can see purging
> SNAPSHOTs,
> but anything else seems foolish.

Yep - totally insane.

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

--
Kevin

Re: [CONFIRMED] Re: Maven again and again :( !

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Ok, seems we've been affected (again) by the most common remaining
problem with Maven - random plugin versions. Recently javacc plugin
team posted a release 2.2 and alas - everything is different/broken.
So what I did is setting the plugin version to 2.1 in the pom, and
reverting a recent change by Kevin. Now it works on Windows and Mac.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Ahmed Mohombe <am...@yahoo.com>.