Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by mc...@mac.com on 2007/07/27 07:26:13 UTC

(Unknown)

Hi, I'm considering using Wicket (or one of the many similar
frameworks) to augment or replace a homegrown framework.  The company
I work for creates many websites with similar functionality, but
completely different look and feel (we do online promotions for a
variety of clients).  Historically we've done this using a system of
servlets and ejbs that are shared across all sites that we host.  We
then use site-specific jsp so that we can customize the look and feel
of the website for the client.  All sites are then hosted off a
single server farm using different URL paths/parameters to
distinguish the site that should be shown.

I'm trying to find a way to do something similar in Wicket or any of
the other frameworks but haven't found anything that really sounds
like what I'm looking for.  Is it possible to use a single Wicket
WebPage implementation with multiple HTML/CSS/Image "skins"?  Ideally
we would also be able to extend the base java WebPage to customize it
for a specific website as well.

Any points/documentation on how to do this type of thing would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Mike

Re: Re:

Posted by Scott Swank <sc...@gmail.com>.
We do something similar to what you're describing.

package com.vegas.athena;

import java.net.URL;
import java.util.ArrayList;
import java.util.LinkedList;
import java.util.List;
import java.util.Locale;

import wicket.util.file.IResourceFinder;
import wicket.util.resource.IResourceStream;
import wicket.util.resource.UrlResourceStream;
import wicket.util.resource.locator.AbstractResourceStreamLocator;
import wicket.util.string.Strings;

public class WebPageResourceStreamLocator extends AbstractResourceStreamLocator
{
	private String DEFAULT_STYLE = "default";
	private IResourceFinder finder;

	public WebPageResourceStreamLocator(IResourceFinder finder)
	{
		this.finder = finder;
	}

	public IResourceStream locate(final Class clazz, String path, final
String style,
			final Locale locale, String extension)
	{

		if (extension == null)
		{
			extension = "." + Strings.lastPathComponent(path, '.');
			path = Strings.beforeLastPathComponent(path, '.');
		}

		else
		{
			if (!extension.startsWith("."))
			{
				extension = "." + extension;
			}
		}

		List<URL> urls = new ArrayList<URL>();
		if (locale != null)
			urls.addAll(getFilePathSearchList(style, path + "_" +
locale.getLanguage() + extension));
		urls.addAll(getFilePathSearchList(style, path + extension));
		for (URL url : urls)
			if (url != null)
				return new UrlResourceStream(url);
		return null;
	}

	@Override
	protected IResourceStream locate(Class clazz, String path)
	{
		// TODO Auto-generated method stub
		return null;
	}

	private LinkedList<URL> getFilePathSearchList(String style, String path)
	{
		LinkedList<URL> pathList = new LinkedList<URL>();

		// style/path
		pathList.add(finder.find(style + "/" + path));

		// defaultStyle/path
		pathList.add(finder.find(DEFAULT_STYLE + "/" + path));

		// path
		pathList.add(finder.find(path));

		return pathList;
	}

}

Scott

Scott Swank
reformed mathematician

Re: Re:

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
yeah, its possible. try to search for custom markup loading. you can make
wicket load markup from anywhere you want, just have to install your own
IResouceStreamLocator into settings.

also search the list, there are a lot of threads on how to do this.

-igor

On 7/26/07, mcomb@softcoin.com <mc...@softcoin.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response, that looks like what I need.  One
> followup question that isn't clear from that FAQ page (sorry if it is
> another newbie question).  From a file layout point of view would it
> possible to do this sort of thing...
>
> /sites/client1/Page1.html
> /sites/client2/Page1.html
> /sites/javafiles/Page1.java
>
> in order to keep html for one site separate from html for another and
> both separate from the shared java files?  I saw things hinting at
> ways to separate html from java, but I'm not seeing an example.
>
> Thanks again,
> -Mike
>
> On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:32 PM, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
>
> > search wiki for variants and styles
> >
> > -igor
> >

> > On 7/26/07, mcomb@mac.com <mc...@mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, I'm considering using Wicket (or one of the many similar
> >> frameworks) to augment or replace a homegrown framework.  The company
> >> I work for creates many websites with similar functionality, but
> >> completely different look and feel (we do online promotions for a
> >> variety of clients).  Historically we've done this using a system of
> >> servlets and ejbs that are shared across all sites that we host.  We
> >> then use site-specific jsp so that we can customize the look and feel
> >> of the website for the client.  All sites are then hosted off a
> >> single server farm using different URL paths/parameters to
> >> distinguish the site that should be shown.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to find a way to do something similar in Wicket or any of
> >> the other frameworks but haven't found anything that really sounds
> >> like what I'm looking for.  Is it possible to use a single Wicket
> >> WebPage implementation with multiple HTML/CSS/Image "skins"?  Ideally
> >> we would also be able to extend the base java WebPage to customize it
> >> for a specific website as well.
> >>
> >> Any points/documentation on how to do this type of thing would be
> >> greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> -Mike

> Mike Comb
> Director of Engineering
> SoftCoin, Inc
> mcomb@softcoin.com

Re: Re:

Posted by mc...@softcoin.com.
Thanks for the quick response, that looks like what I need.  One
followup question that isn't clear from that FAQ page (sorry if it is
another newbie question).  From a file layout point of view would it
possible to do this sort of thing...

/sites/client1/Page1.html
/sites/client2/Page1.html
/sites/javafiles/Page1.java

in order to keep html for one site separate from html for another and
both separate from the shared java files?  I saw things hinting at
ways to separate html from java, but I'm not seeing an example.

Thanks again,
-Mike

On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:32 PM, Igor Vaynberg wrote:

> search wiki for variants and styles
>
> -igor
>

> On 7/26/07, mcomb@mac.com <mc...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I'm considering using Wicket (or one of the many similar
>> frameworks) to augment or replace a homegrown framework.  The company
>> I work for creates many websites with similar functionality, but
>> completely different look and feel (we do online promotions for a
>> variety of clients).  Historically we've done this using a system of
>> servlets and ejbs that are shared across all sites that we host.  We
>> then use site-specific jsp so that we can customize the look and feel
>> of the website for the client.  All sites are then hosted off a
>> single server farm using different URL paths/parameters to
>> distinguish the site that should be shown.
>>
>> I'm trying to find a way to do something similar in Wicket or any of
>> the other frameworks but haven't found anything that really sounds
>> like what I'm looking for.  Is it possible to use a single Wicket
>> WebPage implementation with multiple HTML/CSS/Image "skins"?  Ideally
>> we would also be able to extend the base java WebPage to customize it
>> for a specific website as well.
>>
>> Any points/documentation on how to do this type of thing would be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Mike

Mike Comb