Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by zoe slattery <zo...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/10 16:11:17 UTC

Blueprint tutorial - ARIES 226

Hi all

I have just committed (with some nervousness) a copy of the tutorial
that Ozzy ran at OSGi DevCon London. It is in two projects,
tutorial-modules and tutorial-assembly. The modules are fairly
straightforward bits of sample code. The assembly uses the maven
assembly plugin to pull together all of the artifacts required to run
the tutorial and package then as zip and tar.gz files.

The intention is that someone who wants to work through the tutorial
would be able to extract either the tar.gz or zip file into temporary
space and have everything they need to run the tutorial. There a very
few external pre-reqs, these are Java 1.6, Maven 2.2+ a network
connection. In fact, at OSGIDevCon where there wasn't a network
connection, we gave people a copy of a maven repo and some scripts to
set it up. I've removed this aspect from what I've committed.

The good thing about what I have committed is that it does work (on my
laptop :-)), the zip and tar.gz files have the content that I expect and
I ran through the exercises again to check that they still worked. We
have an opportunity to run the tutorial again fairly soon - that was
another reason for wanting to commit what I have.

There are some things that may not be so good.

1) The way the assembly project works feels a bit unnatural, there may
be better ways to achieve the same result. Having said that, I did spend
a long time with the Maven Reference Guide trying to find something that
produced the result I wanted.

2) The tutorial currently relies on specific hard coded versions of
Aries (and other) dependencies. This is something I'd like to fix - I
just thought it was better to commit what I have and then work on
specific issues later.

3) I am hoping that this is not going to interfere with what happens at
release time. The tutorial-assembly is intended to be run from the
command line (mvn assembly:assembly) and I don't think it should be run
as part of the regular builds.

I will be happy to fix these (and anything I may have missed), equally
if anyone knows a better way to do this kind of thing please point me to
the right part of the maven docs.

Zoe