Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Hanisha Koneru <hk...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2020/11/23 18:35:18 UTC

Enabling Ratis on OM by default

Hi All,

I am proposing to enable Ratis by default on Ozone Manager - HDDS-4498 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDDS-4498>.

Ratis on OM has been tested extensively and is stable now.

HDDS-4330 is an on-going effort to support bootstrapping a new OM node. The pre-requirement for bootstrapping a new OM node is that the cluster must have ratis enabled OM. This also the pre-requirement for enabling OM HA. Hence, by enabling ratis by default, we get rid of one extra step in enabling HA.

It is simple to upgrade an existing non-ratis cluster to ratis enabled cluster - set ozone.om.ratis.enabled to true and restart the OM.

Thanks
Hanisha

Re: Enabling Ratis on OM by default

Posted by Hanisha Koneru <hk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi All,

Here are the results from the OM write performance test on single node ratis enabled OM vs non-ratis OM.

		# Keys Per Sec	# Transactions per Sec
Single Node Ratis Enabled OM	4584	9168
Non Ratis OM	8078	16156

Thanks
Hanisha

Posted by Hanisha Koneru <hk...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Sammi Chen <sa...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Mukul Kumar Singh <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks,

Mukul

Posted by Lokesh Jain <lj...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Shashikant Banerjee <sb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Bharat Viswanadham <bh...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Vivek Ratnavel <vi...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Dinesh Chitlangia <di...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
Sounds like a reasonable step forward.

Just one question: do we have any data about the performance difference?
Will it be slower for non-HA use cases?

Thanks,
Marton

Posted by Siyao Meng <si...@apache.org>.