Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by David W <we...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/26 21:07:31 UTC

Avalon 5 lifestyles, SEDA

I notice the mention of SEDA at
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonFiveArchitectureProposal.
For anyone who hasn't come across it, SEDA is a model for high-performance
event-based programming (more information is available at
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/.  The thesis paper basically says
it all).

It hadn't occurred to me before that Avalon was an appropriate base for
SEDA, but I realize that a flexible component threading specification and
some sort of optional load monitering interfaces and perhaps event queue
components would allow Avalon 5 to implement SEDA very cleanly and
tranparently -- and with all the advantages of other Avalon services.

I tried to mess with Sandstorm (the prototype SEDA implementation) but all
the makefile nonsense prevented me from ever compiling it properly, and as
clear as the thesis is I can't figure out what the heck the code is doing.
As far as I know there isn't another freely available implementation.

If Avalon 5 implemented SEDA, that might greatly increase it's appeal to the
high-performance server apps crowd.  I would also be interested in working
on it (note that I'm a young computer geek interested in algorithmic
nonsense, not a professional seeking a solution).

Anyway, that's just my burst of interest for the day.

David Weitzman

Re: Avalon 5 lifestyles, SEDA

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

David W wrote:
> I notice the mention of SEDA at
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonFiveArchitectureProposal.
> For anyone who hasn't come across it, SEDA is a model for high-performance
> event-based programming (more information is available at
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mdw/proj/seda/.  The thesis paper basically says
> it all).
>
> It hadn't occurred to me before that Avalon was an appropriate base for
> SEDA, but I realize that a flexible component threading specification and
> some sort of optional load monitering interfaces and perhaps event queue
> components would allow Avalon 5 to implement SEDA very cleanly and
> tranparently -- and with all the advantages of other Avalon services.
>
> I tried to mess with Sandstorm (the prototype SEDA implementation) but all
> the makefile nonsense prevented me from ever compiling it properly, and as
> clear as the thesis is I can't figure out what the heck the code is doing.
> As far as I know there isn't another freely available implementation.

IMHO SEDA should become integral part of out Avalon5 spec, and it's a
big breakthrough that would give Avalon-based servers and services a
clear advantage.

> If Avalon 5 implemented SEDA, that might greatly increase it's appeal to the
> high-performance server apps crowd.  I would also be interested in working
> on it (note that I'm a young computer geek interested in algorithmic
> nonsense, not a professional seeking a solution).

Berin should know more about it and guide you to giving us concrete help
on this matter.

> Anyway, that's just my burst of interest for the day.

Hope it lasts longer :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -