Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by li jerry <di...@hotmail.com> on 2020/08/30 07:42:52 UTC

How to reset password using cloud-init in cloudstack

Hi All
We tried to replace the cloud-set-guest-password script with cloud-init in CentOS.

l  The VM is deployed through the template, and the password takes effect

l  Reset VM password via CloudStack, failed (cannot log in with new password)

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Here is the operation procedure:

l  Cloud-init is installed in guest VM and cloudstack data source is configured;

l  Convert VM to template (enable password)

l  Deploy VM for new template;

l  Use the password ssh returned by cloudstack to log in to the VM, and it is successful

The above test proves that cloud-init works well

Next, I test the vm  resetpassword:

l  Shut down VM

l  reset password

l  Start VM

Failed to login VM with new password
Login VM successfully with old password

Description password reset function failed

VM cloud-init log output:
helpers.py [DEBUG]: config-set-passwords already ran (freq=once-per-instance)

Can the set passwords module be executed every time it is restarted?
(I have implemented the reset password function using cloudbase-init in Windows)

Re: How to reset password using cloud-init in cloudstack

Posted by David Jumani <Da...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Jerry,

Could you check the file `/etc/cloudstack/vmpassword.json` in the VR whether the password has been updated? It shows as { "IP": "password" }
Also could you provide the logs ?

Thanks,
David

David.Jumani@shapeblue.comĀ