Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2011/05/11 14:33:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

The candidate tarballs for 2.3.12 are now available at:

	http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/

I'm opening up a vote to release these as 2.3.12-beta, with
a hope to push on for a quick GA after maybe another beta
release in the near future.

Cheers!

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 11.05.2011 14:33, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> The candidate tarballs for 2.3.12 are now available at:
>
> 	http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
> I'm opening up a vote to release these as 2.3.12-beta, with
> a hope to push on for a quick GA after maybe another beta
> release in the near future.

  +1 to 2.3.12-beta.

- Sigs and hashes OK
- contents of tarballs identical
- contents of tag and tarballs identical
   except for expected deltas

Build on Solaris 8+10 Sparc, SuSE 10 32 and 64, and RHEL 5 64
- with default, shared and static modules
- with module sets none, few, most, all
- against bundled APR/APU and external APR/APU 1.4.4/1.3.11
- using expat 2.0.1, pcre 8.12, openssl 1.0.0d, lua 5.1.4
- Tool chain:
     - platform gcc except for Solaris 8+10 (gcc 4.1.2)
     - CFLAGS: -O2 -g -Wall -fno-strict-aliasing
               (and -mpcu=v9 on Solaris)

Passed test framework on all those platforms for all available MPMs
(except simple)
- with shared and static modules using the "all" module set
- with bundled APR/APU and external APR/APU 1.4.4/1.3.11

One single reason for test failures fixed in APU 1.3.x and above, see
r1101657. It caused crashes for spawned processes like prg RewriteMaps
due to NULL cleanup registered in ldap rebind.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> The candidate tarballs for 2.3.12 are now available at:
>
>        http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
> I'm opening up a vote to release these as 2.3.12-beta, with
> a hope to push on for a quick GA after maybe another beta
> release in the near future.

+1 for release as beta

FWIW, beta + beta-deps works for me on MinGW with existing constraints

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.
On Sat, 14 May 2011, Rainer Jung wrote:

> On 14.05.2011 12:54, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>> On 5/13/2011 9:31 PM, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>> and the apu issue affects users who configure auth_ldap, right?
>
> Correct. That's why I voted +1.

I also agree that it doesn't affect the 2.3.12 release. If we had some
newer apu, we could have rerolled the deps tarball. But let's just hope
that 2.3.13 will be there, soon.

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Re: [Discuss] -deps package revisioning

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Vote passes! Moving tarballs to dist and allowing for
mirrors to sync. Will announce tomorrow!

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 5/19/2011 8:45 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I will reroll the dependency tarball, once the apr/apu
> vote passes... Once that happens I'll allow for 24 hrs
> for comments/issues on that tarball and then release/announce.

+1

Once apr/apu votes are in process, I will roll 2.2.19.  Allowing
24 hours for the 2.2.19 vote concurrent to the apr/apu votes,
I plan to wait for the mirrors to catch up, then announce.

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On May 14, 2011, at 6:54 AM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> We should /not/ be halting a *beta* when one platform, one feature, or
> any other single documented issue has an issue.  Versions and releases
> are cheap, release it and get on with the next beta :)

No one has suggested that...

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
On 14 May 2011, at 12:54 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:

> We should /not/ be halting a *beta* when one platform, one feature, or
> any other single documented issue has an issue.  Versions and releases
> are cheap, release it and get on with the next beta :)
>
> The windows issue is a non-issue (cruft in the bin/ directory, oh
> well)
> and the apu issue affects users who configure auth_ldap, right?  Betas
> are not meant to be perfect, and they are no fun if there are no bugs.

+1.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 May 2011, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>
>>> The candidate tarballs for 2.3.12 are now available at:
>>>
>>>      http://httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>>>
>>> I'm opening up a vote to release these as 2.3.12-beta, with
>>> a hope to push on for a quick GA after maybe another beta
>>> release in the near future.
>>
>> +1 for httpd 2.3.12-beta (with external apr/apu)
>>
>> As noted by Rainer, the apu in httpd-2.3.12-beta-deps is broken, though. Is this ok or should the deps tarball be rerolled?
>>

> Reroll with what is the question? An older apu? We can't roll with
> HEAD.
>
> Maybe we could, with our APR hats on, push out a quick APU 1.3.12...

We should definitely have a new apr (Windows issue) and apu (LDAP
issue) before long, but what about just providing patches for this
beta?  I doubt that anyone consuming the beta would have a problem
with that.

BTW, I'm a bit behind and probably can't test until tomorrow.

Re: [VOTE] Release httpd 2.3.12 as beta

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Stefan Fritsch <sf...@sfritsch.de>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.