Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rache <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/29 02:28:23 UTC

Missing Request Parameters

Parameter values are set in the jsp either as hardcoded
links(http://j.jsp?param=value) or as hidden parameters. When the program
enters the doGet() or doPost() method of a servlet and check for the
parameter, its null.

String pvalue = req.getParameter("param");

This happens intermittently. Is there any explanation on this. Is this a bug
on Tomcat or somethings wrong with my code?

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.
Yes I sent them 2 posts ago.
However, here they are again :

In our server.xml:
<Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"
   port="7547"
   maxSpareThreads="75"
   minSpareThreads="40"
   maxThreads="500"
   enableLookups="false"
   acceptCount="100"
   tomcatAuthentication="false"
   protocol="AJP/1.3"
/>

##############################

In our workers.properties:

workers.apache_log=/usr/local/apache/logs
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/tomcat
workers.java_home=/usr/local/java
ps=/

worker.list=ajp13

worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
worker.ajp13.host=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
worker.ajp13.port=YYYY
worker.ajp13.lbfactor=50
worker.ajp13.cachesize=350
worker.ajp13.cache_timeout=600
worker.ajp13.socket_keepalive=0
worker.ajp13.socket_timeout=600

################################

In our httpd.conf:

JkMount /serv/* ajp13

Do you see something wrong ?

Nicolas

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.

Posted by Yashwanth CP <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 8/18/06, Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Here is the configuration we have:
>
> In our server.xml:
> <Connector className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector"
>    port="7547"
>    maxSpareThreads="75"
>    minSpareThreads="40"
>    maxThreads="500"
>    enableLookups="false"
>    acceptCount="100"
>    tomcatAuthentication="false"
>    protocol="AJP/1.3"
> />
>
> ##############################
>
> In our workers.properties:
>
> #parametrage de mod_jk
>
> workers.apache_log=/usr/local/apache/logs
> workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/tomcat
> workers.java_home=/usr/local/java
> ps=/
>
> worker.list=ajp13
>
> worker.ajp13.type=ajp13
> worker.ajp13.host=81.91.65.146
> worker.ajp13.port=7547
> worker.ajp13.lbfactor=50
> worker.ajp13.cachesize=350
> worker.ajp13.cache_timeout=600
> worker.ajp13.socket_keepalive=0
> worker.ajp13.socket_timeout=600
>
> ################################
>
> In our httpd.conf:
>
> JkMount /serv/* ajp13
>
> ################################
>
> I don't know which version of mod_jk we're using ... I'm looking into it.
>
> Nicolas
>
> lmelendez a écrit :
> > in mod_jk.conf for apache, we have the following lines:
> >
> >   # define the channel
> >   JkSet channel.socket:localhost:8009.port 8009
> >   JkSet channel.socket:localhost:8009.host 127.0.0.1
> >
> >   # define the worker
> >   JkSet ajp13:localhost:8009.channel channel.socket:localhost:8009
> >
> >   <Location "/console">
> >      JkUriSet group ajp13:localhost:8009
> >   </Location>
> >
> > I'll do some research on how to change the connector and test it to see
> if
> > there is a change.
> >
> > Leo.

yashwanth cp

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.
Hi !

Posted by lmelendez <le...@gmail.com>.

Nicolas Schwartz wrote:

> I thought it might come from the connector ...
> Did you already try to change it ?
> Which version are you using ?

Interesting point Nicolas, to be honest with you... I don't know a lot about
connectors. I went to the Server.xml file in Tomcat and found the following
lines:

    <Connector port="8009"
               redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
               protocol="AJP/1.3" tomcatAuthentication="false"/>

All the other connectors are commented out. When you ask what connector am I
using, where can I find that out?

Thanks!

Leo.

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.

Posted by lmelendez <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nicolas Schwartz <ni...@airweb.fr>.
Hi,

We are facing the same problem.
Sometimes the parameters don't get to tomcat.

We've seen this by monitoring our plateform through a servlet simply returning the value of a parameter.

We are also using apache+tomcat
apache-2.0.54
jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9

It occurs on GET requests, maybe on POST ones but we don't know.
The value of the parameter is not long, neither is the value.
It appears to occur "randomly"

Hope this will help to find a solution to the problem ...

--
Nicolas Schwartz

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Lou Caudell <lc...@wtceng.com>.
rache wrote:
> Parameter values are set in the jsp either as hardcoded
> links(http://j.jsp?param=value) or as hidden parameters. When the program
> enters the doGet() or doPost() method of a servlet and check for the
> parameter, its null.
>
> String pvalue = req.getParameter("param");
>
> This happens intermittently. Is there any explanation on this. Is this a bug
> on Tomcat or somethings wrong with my code?
>
> Any help would be great!
> Thanks!

I have noticed when debugging my loop, to assign actions, will cycle
more times than there are variables. Have you looked at the entire
request buffer with your debugger?

 Enumeration e = request.getParameterNames();
 while (e.hasMoreElements())
 {
   String s = (String)e.nextElement();
   if (s.equals(A_BUTTON))  {action = A; break;}
   else if (s.equals(B_BUTTON))  {action = B; break;}
  }

- Lou Caudell

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by rache <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Parameters are either set this way:

1. from the page itself:
        <form class="hidden" name="cal" action="business_calendar_2.jsp"
method="post">
            <input type="hidden" name="windowTitle" value="<%= windowTitle
%>">
            <input type="hidden" name="headTitle" value="<%= headTitle %>">
2. from building xmls which are then integrated into the page itself which a
user can click on for links:

href="../servlet/tpservlet?transactiontype=sessionProfileActionBean&amp;ACTIVITY_TYPE=Exit"
or
 href="../jsp/security.jsp" (no parameters needed)

I'm assuming that when a user clicks on either of this parameters should
have been part of the request.

By the way, I have a silly question, can a POST method ever get changed to a
GET method somewhere? Where, aside  from html forms, can these methods be
set?

Thanks again!

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
Erm. ok. Where does the redirectURL variable come from? Unless it has
parameters encoded into it that will be your problem.

Also, be a bit wary in using the RequestDumperValve with non-ascii
charset data as it can corrupt some parameters:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=112530311007782&w=2

The above (and other similar threads on this list) is why I tend to use
the browser plug-ins first.

Jon

Posted by jon wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
Rache,

Tools like ieHTTPHeaders and LiveHTTPHeaders will also help you determine
what the browser actually sends to the server, including any redirects
caused by 302 response codes.

HTH,

Jon

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rache,

Posted by rache <ra...@yahoo.com>.
That's what I was thinking - that it couldn't have been a bug :) I'm quite
new to Tomcat but I know it coundn't have been one since many are using it.

I don't have any code access now since codebase is at the office. But this
usually occur after redirects.
Most of the pages (servlets and those urls/links starting with http) are
redirects.
URL is made in the code:
-either from a hradcoded href link
-/servlet/servletname
-/jsp/jspname.jsp

then the following methods are called:
-for any url starting with "http"
 response.sendRedirect(url);
-for any url with servlets
 response.sendRedirect(contextpath + url);
-for jsps
 getRequestDispatcher(url).forward(req, resp);

I've read something with 302 codes/redirects having to cause lost
parameter/session info.
But still is new to me.

Any advise will really help!
Thanks again!

Re: Missing Request Parameters

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Morning Ben

what is the specified method for the form?
In the eventuality of lack of method you will call service() method..

HTH,
Martin -

Posted by Ben Souther <be...@souther.us>.