Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/27 17:58:43 UTC

Release a doxia 1.2.1 to fix problems in pom?

The doxia 1.2 POM has some rather surprising things in it. Notably,
the dependencyManagement picks up the version of the current project,
so they all tend to turn into 1.0-SNAPSHOT.

There's also the build.directory reference which leads to warnings.

Mayhap it would be possible to make a release just to fix this?

Re: Release a doxia 1.2.1 to fix problems in pom?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2011-08-27 19:11, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> Le samedi 27 août 2011, Benson Margulies a écrit :
>> The doxia 1.2 POM has some rather surprising things in it. Notably,
>> the dependencyManagement picks up the version of the current project,
>> so they all tend to turn into 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
> yes, I saw it even if I don't understand how/why it does that
> AFAIK, the problem is on Doxia Tools only, isn't it?
>

>> There's also the build.directory reference which leads to warnings.
> I didn't notice this one: what is it?
>

>> Mayhap it would be possible to make a release just to fix this?
> Did you understand why it is causing such problems? is it fixed in actual
> trunk?
>
> In fact, a new version of Doxia Converter should be done independently from
> these problems, as the actual 1.2 uses Doxia 1.1.2, and even more: it not only
> *uses* but *contains* the dependencies in its jar-with-dependencies classifier.
> Then we need a Doxia Converter version with Doxia 1.2.
>
> But what version number should we give?
> We had already this question, but now it seems to me we made the wrong
> decision.
> We have 3 parts:
> - Doxia (core), with its modules for document and output formats
> - Doxia Sitetools, to make sites or plain documents
> - Doxia Tools, with CLI tools (converter and linkcheck)

Note that we also have maven-doxia-tools in shared components. I was
planning to move that over to the doxia project after the last Doxia
release, but I have unfortunately run out of OSS time. My plan was to
change the versioning when the move would happen, because
maven-doxia-tools is currently at 1.4.

> For the moment, Doxia and Doxia Sitetools have the same versions.
> Doxia Tools has a different version (1.2) than the Doxia version included
> (1.1.2)
>
> IMHO, Doxia Sitetools version should be decoupled from Doxia version, since
> the code does not really depends from Doxia version, and they are simply
> components for different features than Doxia (used by m-site-p and m-pdf-p
> mainly).

This is already done. It's just that they have been released
simultaneously for the past releases.

> But Doxia Tools version should stick with Doxia version, or add a suffix when
> multiple Doxia Tools versions are done for only one Doxia version, since these
> are CLI tools for end-users to use Doxia: without this, end-users can't
> understand (even us...).

Why? It is a separate project that is just a consumer of Doxia (core).
We don't version other projects that consume Doxia with numbers that in
some way match the Doxia version they use. This should simply be
documented on the start page of the Doxia Tools project using an
injected property ${doxiaVersion}.

> So IMHO we should release Doxia Tools 1.1.2, which is a fixed version of actual
> 1.2 regarding the problems we actually found.
> Then release Doxia Tools 1.2.0.1 with Doxia 1.2 dependency.

I see no reason to re-release the current version with another version
number. That is something that will confuse the users for sure.

> WDYT?
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Release a doxia 1.2.1 to fix problems in pom?

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> The 1.2 POM looks like:
>
>   dependencyManagement/dependencies/
>     <dependency>
>        <version>${project.version}</version>
>    </dependency>
>
> What I think is that it was a BUG that maven actually published this
> pom with the reference to ${project.version}, instead of replacing it
> with 1.2, and so any new release would be better. However, the email
> trail I'm trying to remember was a long time ago, and perhaps the
> answer was that maven is supposed to interpret ${project.version}
> relative to the pom it is sitting in, not the child POM. In which
> case, maven is still busted, and I don't know how to fix this.

I've had some weird stuff happen when I use ${project.version}.
I've been meaning to look into it, but you know what happens...
It would be beneficial for guidance on using this variable.

Re: Release a doxia 1.2.1 to fix problems in pom?

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 27 août 2011, Benson Margulies a écrit :
>> The doxia 1.2 POM has some rather surprising things in it. Notably,
>> the dependencyManagement picks up the version of the current project,
>> so they all tend to turn into 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
> yes, I saw it even if I don't understand how/why it does that
> AFAIK, the problem is on Doxia Tools only, isn't it?
>

>> There's also the build.directory reference which leads to warnings.
> I didn't notice this one: what is it?

This is wrong in 1.2 ${build.directory} and right on trunk
${project.build.outputDirectory}

>> Mayhap it would be possible to make a release just to fix this?
> Did you understand why it is causing such problems? is it fixed in actual
> trunk?

Hervé:

This is a point of complete confusion to me.

The 1.2 POM looks like:

   dependencyManagement/dependencies/
     <dependency>
        <version>${project.version}</version>
    </dependency>

What I think is that it was a BUG that maven actually published this
pom with the reference to ${project.version}, instead of replacing it
with 1.2, and so any new release would be better. However, the email
trail I'm trying to remember was a long time ago, and perhaps the
answer was that maven is supposed to interpret ${project.version}
relative to the pom it is sitting in, not the child POM. In which
case, maven is still busted, and I don't know how to fix this.

> In fact, a new version of Doxia Converter should be done independently from
> these problems, as the actual 1.2 uses Doxia 1.1.2, and even more: it not only
> *uses* but *contains* the dependencies in its jar-with-dependencies classifier.
> Then we need a Doxia Converter version with Doxia 1.2.

At this very instant, I stopped using jar-with-dependencies in my
branch of the eclipse stuff, thinking that I could trust Maven. I can
undo that.

Mostly, I've stopped borrowing the doxia parent POM at all.

Below this point, I am currently so swamped with felix mysteries that
I'm not prepared to help you think about the issues.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.