Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/01/04 20:42:21 UTC

Moving toward beta-8 (posted here by request)

Hi,

The last thing I wanted to get into the code for the beta-8 release is
the checksum verification to prevent the use of corrupted JAR and other
artifacts. There are a few technical issues on ibiblio to deal with
before this is turned on but the code is in.

What needs to be done now before the release is the creation of a
'release' plugin. I never, ever, want to do an unassisted release again
because I personally always forget things and releases are generally
inconsistent. So below is a list of things that I whipped off the top of
my head but I wanted to ask users if there is anything missing and to
augment this list. Once the release plugin is finished maven beta-8 can
be released with it.

So I have no idea how long it will take to make this plugin but if you
want to help with the release at this point it's pushing your ideas
forward and helping out with some of tasks that need to be address in
the list below:

o mail tag lib that handles smtp authorization

o a mechanism in the xdoc plugin that allows for a HEAD and a released
site a released site based on the most current released version.

o the mechanics for adding a snapshot-timestamp file when a snapshot is
released so that during a release all the snapshots can be replaced with
timestamped versions if released versions are not available.

o better deploy mechanisms ... I currently have a java ssh2 deployer
that i will checkin but i would like to see one for http using
httpclient which allows https and one for ftp using the commons-net
package. I will check these in the deploy plugin shortly.

So there's no date for a release, it's when all this stuff is sorted
out.

Release List:

  <!-- ================================================================== -->
  <!-- R E L E A S E  T A G  L I B R A R Y                                -->
  <!-- ================================================================== -->

  <!--
   | Process for a release:
   |
   | o tagging cvs
   | o building source distribution
   | o building binary distribution
   | o notifying lists - we need a mailtag that can deal with authorization.
   |   my smtp for example will not let me poke it without a password.
   | o pushing out RSS feeds maybe to javablogs?
   | o updating the <version/> element in the POM
   | o updating changes document
   | o updating the status page
   | o flipping the site from HEAD to release and deploy the site
   | o all SNAPSHOT references must be changed to timestamped versions
   | o incrementing the version - what rules do we want to follow? they
   |   have to be documented so we need a document to adhere to.
   |
   | Q: so how do we find the latest timestamped version.
   | A: when a snapshot is deployed we need a file with the real version
   |    of the latest snapshot.
   -->
--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

RE: Moving toward beta-8 (posted here by request)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Yep. I agree wholeheartedly (see attached email I sent some time ago on
the list). WRT the features, there are 2 items that I cannot find in
your list that may be useful:

- verify there is no more todo items (in the tasks.xml file for ex) for
the version being released (i.e. if some items were not implemented they
would need to be moved to the next version).

- generate the announcement text by getting all changes from all
changes.xml files and aggregate them in the announcement text.

-Vincent