Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Charles Marcus <CM...@Media-Brokers.com> on 2018/05/07 17:32:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Newbie - Apache as internet facing proxy for Windows/IIS backend .net app server?

Hello all,

I just want to know if this is even worth my time trying to figure out.

We have an Accounting application (.ne/IIS on Windows Server 2008R2) on
our LAN, but I need to provide a window to this through the internet,
and I'd really, really like to not put a Windows Server on our DMZ
facing the internet directly (if I have to, it will be a
separate/standalone server that redirects/proxies to the Accounting server).

first and foremost - is it even possible to setup an Apache server to do
this? I loathe IIS, and also don't know much about it, but I'm also
pretty much a noob when it comes to web servers in general. I do have
some experience a while back with Apache, which is why I'm starting here.

If it isn't, so be it, but if it is, is it very involved?

Tia...

*/Charles/*/*
*/

Re: [users@httpd] Newbie - Apache as internet facing proxy for Windows/IIS backend .net app server?

Posted by Charles Marcus <CM...@Media-Brokers.com>.
Ok, will give this a shot, although I won't get any support from them
for the reverse proxy - but hopefully won't need any. :)

*/Charles/*/*

*/

Posted by Yehuda Katz <ye...@ymkatz.net>.
You could add additional authentication requirements in the reverse proxy
for specific requests. You can also make sure to only proxy requests that
match what you think the backend should process.
There are a lot of tools that can help you, but as you said, you might get
the best results if someone actually looks at your specific system and your
specific requirements.

- Y

Posted by Charles Marcus <CM...@Media-Brokers.com>.
Ok, a follow-up question...