Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Freyr Stefansson <st...@decode.is> on 2000/08/30 14:52:05 UTC

Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Hello.

I've been monitoring the discussion on the Tomcat lists for about 3 weeks
now and I've seen people ask about SSL and the release date on Tomcat 3.2
final for a while but usually those posts receive little or at least vague
answers.

Therefore I would like (hopefully once and for all) to ask a few questions.
I hope I will receive some answers soon and I sincerely hope that these
answers will help others besides myself.

My first question is the obvious one.  When is Tomcat 3.2 final supposed to
come out?

The second question I have is about the SSL support in Tomcat 3.2.  I've
tried a little bit to get it up and running with little success.  That is
without any doubt my fault and I'm going to try a little harder before I
start bugging you guys about it.  But... I would like to know if Tomcat 3.2
SSL (once I get it up and running) supports two way authentication.  I need
the client to be able to verify that he/she is talking to the server he/she
believes he/she is talking to... (a lot of he/she's in there... anything to
be politically correct ;o) But I also need to be able to verify that the
client is who he/she says he/she is (this is ridiculous).  For that I need
two way authentication.

I saw somebody ask about this issue a while back but never saw any answers
to his (I'm pretty sure it was a he! ;o) post.  I would really appreciate it
if I could get an answer on these matters.

One other thing is about the licencing.  Our plan is to integrate Tomcat
into one of our own products.  The product is not a commercial product and
very unlikely that anybody could benefit from using this thing except for my
company...  I would like to know if it is allright to use Tomcat in such a
way?  Are there any limitations or fees???  We looked at the licence file
that came with the Tomcat download and the way we understood that was that
we could basically use it any which way we wanted given that we included
some things in our manual and didn't change the headers of the source files
(you know... the thing whith all the copyright thingys and such).

Kindest regards and thanks in advance,
Stefan.

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL - Unrecognized SSL handshake...

Posted by Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <st...@decode.is>.
I know it doesn't work yet... but we're working on improvements to the
SSLSocketFactory class which will then support client certificates.  The
"clientAuth" parameter doesn't do any harm and we will be using it in the
SSLSocketFactory class once we sort out what is wrong with the server
certificate authentication and just now I tested what you said about the
directory listing and you were absolutely correct.  Do you have any idea
about how to correct this?  so that it redirects to https:// instead of
http:// ?  This must be a configuration issue?

But about the client certificate problem you have...  I'll keep you posted
if we make some progress in our efforts to improve the SSLSocketFactory
class so that it supports client authentication.  Our plan is to post a
bugfix/improvement??? once we get it ready.  I don't think, however, that
you will ever be able to access the client certificates on the webserver (in
your JSP pages).  Not that I'm any expert at all but I don't think that's
possible.  If you find out that you can do that please let me know.

kind regards, Stefan Freyr

Posted by Ismael Blesa Part <ib...@tissat.es>.

Posted by Warner Onstine <wa...@warneronstine.com>.

Posted by Stefán Freyr Stefánsson <st...@decode.is>.
[...]

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

https://localhost:pnum or https://127.0.0.1.  I do not get that window if I

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by Gomez Henri <hg...@slib.fr>.
SSL process (crypto) is an cpu tak and many of us have
setup allready apache + ssl (apache-ssl, apache-mod_ssl ...)

There is at least two situations :

1) The server must be authentified by the browser but not the client

2) The server and the client must be authentified (strong) via a client
   certificate imported in the browser.

Apache with, at least mod_ssl, do perfectly the job and you could
build a totally OpenSource solution with tools like :

OpenSSL, OpenCA, mod_ssl.

But what we didn't have for now is servlet example code which
show us how to get SSL vars like client Common Name (CN),
organization (O) and so on.

These examples are when using AJP13 connector (thanks to mod_jk)

If someone could provide this kind of example code (and why not
put it in examples, it will be a good starting point to do webapps
which relies on front webserver to the not so basic authentification,
resiliation tasks.

With this, we can also have a slighty faster tomcat system (we
could be sure that Apache will stay faster to handle http/https
for some years).

Also tomcat start up much more quickly (You could make the experiment
with a tomcat using AJP12/AJP13 and http/https connectors
and then removing http/https connectors).

In fine did we want tomcat to be the fastest servlet engine or to
be the UNIVERSAL MULTI-PURPOSE WEB/SERVLET/XXXX ENGINE ?

There is allready the good old Apache for HTTP/HTTPS tasks and
there is hundred of years of developpement behind him. And how many
sites well tuned with it (I think of magic stuff like php3/4, the
evil/angel mod_rewrite (thk Ralf), mod_ssl (Rethk Ralf).

See you.

PS: Who handle mod_jk now, I've got problems with AJP13/mod_jk and
RequestDispatcher .forward and no response for some time now ?

-
Unix is like a 'hogan' -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.

Re: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
Stefan Freyr Stefansson wrote:

> Thank you for this reply Costin and I'm sorry for the delay of replying to
> it...
>
> The problem is that we don't use Apache + Tomcat.  The reason for this is
> that we do not need a high performance http server and Apache would be much
> too big to integrate into our project.  Therefore we are using Tomcat.
>
> So I would like to get some info on HOW two way authentication in Tomcat is
> done... can anybody point me in the right direction?

I would take a look at SSLSocketFactory, and also service/http/*
( SSLSocketFactory used to be in org.apache.tomcat.net, in the
current code base it's in tomcat.util.net ).

SSLSocketFactory is used with the http adapter to support https.
You may need few changes in the internal APIs to do what you
want ( right now I'm not sure there is any easy way to access the
tcp layer from interceptors ).

One way to start is to change the current code ( for example
the http connector ) to get something working. Then we can
figure out how we can turn your code into an interceptor.

Interceptors are similar with Apache modules, the
extension mechanism ( and building blocks ) of tomcat.
See org.apache.tomcat.request.

Costin

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by Stefan Freyr Stefansson <st...@decode.is>.
Ok... now we're getting somewhere...  This is something which may be the
thing we need to do.
I am, however, not familiar with what you're talking about when you talk
about the "Interceptor or Valve interfaces / base classes" but I'm guessing
that this may be some class that Tomcat uses for the connections.  Any
additional information on this would be very much appreciated.  I've gone
through the source files of Tomcat and found no "Interceptor.java" nor
"Valve.java" files...  (I also looked at the generated javadoc files).  Does
this have anything to do with the socketFactory or Connector/Handler
parameters in the server.xml file in the tomcat "conf" directory?  If I
"implement these classes on my own" where would I use them?  Will they be
dynamic (like with a conf file where you can select which implementation to
use) or will they replace the previous ones?

If you could either explain to me a little bit more about this or point me
to a place where I could find out more that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
	Stefan Freyr

Posted by Nick Bauman <ni...@cortexity.com>.
Stefan,

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Re: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Stefan Freyr Stefansson wrote:

> One other thing is about the licencing.  Our plan is to integrate Tomcat
> into one of our own products.  The product is not a commercial product and
> very unlikely that anybody could benefit from using this thing except for my
> company...  I would like to know if it is allright to use Tomcat in such a
> way?  Are there any limitations or fees???  We looked at the licence file
> that came with the Tomcat download and the way we understood that was that
> we could basically use it any which way we wanted given that we included
> some things in our manual and didn't change the headers of the source files
> (you know... the thing whith all the copyright thingys and such).

The license describes the sum total of your responsibilities.

No fees.  No limitations (other than the ones listed in the license).  No
requirement to contribute back changes, although suggested improvements are
*always* welcome.

Please feel free to use Tomcat in your product.

> Kindest regards and thanks in advance,
> Stefan.

Craig McClanahan

                                    Applications to Tomcat

RE: Tomcat 3.2 SSL question

Posted by Todd Bowker <tb...@partnet.com>.
We are also interested in knowing the status of SSL client authentication
using digital certificates(?). We are considering using Tomcat as an xml
server and this is one feature that we are interested in for security
reasons. Any feeback about this issue would be helpful for us also...

thanks