Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2004/02/16 23:32:16 UTC

[VOTE] New development build

I'd like to do a new development build followed soon after by a production
build.

Following our current quirky version standards this would be 2.1 for the
development version and 3.0 for the production version.  Alternatively we
could go 2.5 for the production version.  I really don't care.

Please give your -1, -0, +0, +1's.

BTW,  we should probably look at upgrading to the new 2.0 license for this
release.  This will be forced upon us if we release after the end of Feb
anyway.  Anyone got a conversion script?

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: [VOTE] New development build

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
So in case I wasn't clear myself.

+1 for a prod release.  I favor 2.something-but-not-1 and
-0 for a dev release (its tested enough and lets face it we have a user
community primarily of late adopters...people still email me about 1.01 -- a
release from like 3 years ago)
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

Posted by av...@itellix.com.

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.
+1
2.1 dev (if necessary)
2.5 prod
3.0 Super duper no memory use, instant spreadsheet version...

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> From: Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>
> Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:16:43 +1100
> To: "POI Developers List" <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] New development build
>
> At 04:54 PM 17/02/2004, you wrote:
>> I'm not following you?  You mean for the escher stuff a new dev build
>> followed by a prod build?
>
> Yes.  I assume it would be best to do a dev release first since it's a
> pretty big change.  If you'd rather go straight to 2.5 that's okay with me.

I feel comfortable with the amount of testing that we've done and since it
has been tested in use.  I don't feel we're going to accomplish a great deal
with a dev release of it.  I do feel there will be point releases once it is
in use, but I can live with that.

>> The 2.0 series should all be under the same license (1.1).
>
> Depending on our release date we may not have a choice.  This was from Greg:
>
>>     The Board has also mandated that all ASF software must be switched to
>>     the new license by March 1st, 2004. Please watch this space for
>>     further instructions on how to "use" the new license.

*shrug* zzzz

Re: [VOTE] New development build

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.