Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrick Sunter <pa...@vpac.org> on 2004/03/05 05:05:18 UTC

tunneling & svn:externals issue?

Hi,

my organisation has switched to svn from cvs, and have in the main been very
happy with it.

Some of our developers live behind a http proxy that doesn't allow all of the
HTTP methods that subversion needs... thus we use the ssh port forwarding
approach described in the FAQ at
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#paranoid, which works fine.

However, we also want to use svn:externals so that several of our projects can
automatically check out a shared module of code, and the 2 features don't seem
to work together.

To illustrate:
in the repository directory http://rd01.vpac.org/svn/StGermain/trunk, I set the
svn:externals property to:
spmodeldata http://rd01.vpac.org/svn/SPModel/trunk/data
All good so far, for those of us connecting directly it checks out the requested
eURL into an "spmodeldata" subdirectory.

But if someone is port-forwarding, so e.g. they have checked out the StGermain
repository through the url http://localhost:8888/svn/StGermain/trunk,
then they will be unable to fetch the svn:external due to the aforementioned
http proxy server problem when svn tries to grab it through http directly.

what we'd like to happen is for the http://rd01.vpac.org/svn/SPModel/trunk/data
in the svn:externals to be 'translated' to
http://localhost:8888/svn/SPModel/trunk/data automatically. Does svn have
support for this? I couldn't find any documentation on it, or any relevant
mailing list messages.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers, Patrick.

P.S. There was something in the FAQ page above that might be related:
"Joe Orton notes:
The server is sensitive to the hostname used in the Destination header
in MOVE and COPY requests, so you have to be a little careful here - a
"ServerAlias localhost" may be required to get this working properly."

but I'm not super apache savvy so it didn't really click with me.

--
Patrick Sunter
--------------

RE: Re: tunneling & svn:externals issue?

Posted by James Mountifield <jm...@collab.net>.
This thread is very old, and this issue has been addressed (but not in
this list as it is the Subversion Development list, not Users list).

Assuming you are using a 1.5 or later client look up relative externals
here: http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

James

Posted by Patrick Sunter <pa...@vpac.org>.
Hi guys, haven't had any takers for my question below on "users", and would
really appreciate it if you guys could take a look at it. I imagine its an issue
others may face too.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 3, 2009, at 08:58, grusaren@yahoo.se wrote:

> One solution is to go into every individual repository and manually
> do a svn switch --relocate on each of the externals you want to use
> with a tunnel, without changing the svn:externals property.
>
> This way the original project and those who don't need to use the
> tunnel can checkout and update normally, and those  in need of
> tunneling just have to tweek their local repositories.
>
> This is a horrible solution but it seems to me that it is the only
> way of doing it.

You did not quote the message you are replying to and it's not in my
Subversion mailbox or trash... Are you really replying to a message
that's 5 years old, as the archive indicates, or is the timestamp on
that message wrong?

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?
dsForumId=1065&dsMessageId=314427

In any case, the solution to the issue today is to use relative URL
paths in your svn:externals definition, so that it doesn't contain
the hostname. This requires all clients to upgrade to at least
Subversion 1.5.

http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html#externals

Re: tunneling & svn:externals issue?

Posted by lorenz <lo...@yahoo.com>.
> [regarding externals and multiple url shemes]

as of svn 1.5 you can use 'relative URLs' in the externals
definitions.
See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html
for details
--