Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/01 05:51:32 UTC

awsapi vs ec2stack

Anyone out there using or have experience either/both of these that can comment on pros and cons?

Previously I was unsuccessful at getting awsapi working on 4.1 and only just today found out about ec2stack.  I was going to give it another try now that I am on 4.4 on one of my setups and was wondering if anyone had any comments/thoughts on these two options.

thanks,
Carlos

Re: awsapi vs ec2stack

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 1, 2014, at 7:39 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 11:51 PM, Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone out there using or have experience either/both of these that can comment on pros and cons?
>>
>> Previously I was unsuccessful at getting awsapi working on 4.1 and only just today found out about ec2stack.  I was going to give it another try now that I am on 4.4 on one of my setups and was wondering if anyone had any comments/thoughts on these two options.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Carlos
>
> Carlos,
>
> I was part of the project that wrote ec2stack with Darren and Ian in cc.
>
> ec2stack is a python application using Flask micro framework to expose the ec2 query API. It is uncoupled from cloudstack and can run on the mgt server or even on your local machine.
> You might want to check this short tutorial: http://codac.co/ec2/README.html
>
> The github page also has docs:
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack
> https://github.com/BroganD1993/ec2stack/wiki/User-Guide
>
> It is mostly aimed at supporting basic zones, but also has support for VPC since 3 weeks ago.
>
> IMHO it is easier to maintain/extend and a much smaller code footprint. Right now it is not an official cloudstack release even though Darren, Ian and I are part of cloudstack community. We might put it under ASF governance if there is interest in it.
>
> Awsapi has you know is strongly tied to cloudstack and the app comes bundled in the source and in the package repo. It is java based and built dynamically from the AWS wsdl. other than that since it's Java I don't know much about it. My personal opinion is that very people in the community know about its internals and it has proven difficult to maintain plus package properly. So I prefer ec2stack mostly because I know how it's written and that it is decoupled from cloudstack.
>
> Would be great to have you try ec2stack and give us some feedback, either on this list or on the github page.

I’ll give it a try next week and report back.  Thanks!

Re: awsapi vs ec2stack

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.