Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com> on 2010/12/09 16:05:07 UTC

Website, docuemntation links, and river/src-doc/static/index.html

All,

I believe it would be good to some how work in a link to the latest builds
river/src-doc/static/index.html on the web site under the documentation links.
This could possibly be per a link "Development Release Documentation" or
"Release Documentation" or maybe "Documentation and Specifications"; perhaps
better and more simply "River Documentation". It may not be formatted as the
rest of the site yet, but it still gets that valuable information out there for
anyone just now looking at River with a couple clicks on the web site. The
specifications really get to the heart of what it is and tries to accomplish in
my opinion. Too there are the manual pages plus the getting started page though
some of the lower links don't work (manual pages being some), and I assume this
is due to part of the build not copying things around and generating all the
JavaDocs. I haven't had time to look at the build to see if there is a target
which will copy those docs around an fix those issues or not. Regardless, I
think those things would be good to have visible directly from the web site
without one having to download anything first.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Wade

==================
Wade Chandler
Software Engineer and Developer
NetBeans Dream Team Member and Contributor

http://www.netbeans.org

Re: Website, docuemntation links, and river/src-doc/static/index.html

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
The doc's look like they're in a state of transition in the current
build, they don't look ready for release, can you or Sim let me know
when they are?  No pressure, take your time, if you need some help let
me know, it's probably best not to let too many cooks spoil the broth
for now though.  Once you're done, I'll add the jira generated release
notes.

It doesn't look like I'll get time to solve the Solaris 10 sparc Java 6
bugs, they do appear to be important security issues for sparc, so I'll
document their existence in the release notes.

Cheers,

Peter.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
Tom Hobbs wrote:
>>> I've been changing the Jini Specs from HTML into a style which matches
>>> the rest of our website - i.e. markdown.  In retrospect, maybe that
>>> wasn't the right thing to do, because (as has been pointed out) we'll
>>> need to convert the specs back from markdown into HTML for easy
>>> download/reading on part of the users.
>>>

>> Actually don't rush into reversing your changes, lets think it through,
>> Markdown is intended to be viewable as text, we've got a doc-src directory,
>> we could keep your changes and include markdown as a build dependency.
>>

> I've not had the opportunity to do much of anything.  I can leave what
> I've done there, and just put the HTML back in without any problem.
>

>>> As I mention in this email, having Javadocs in a different format to
>>> the website is okay, and I guess that having the Jini Spec in a
>>> different format is okay also.  So I'm going to rollback my changes
>>> for the Jini Spec only.  This way we can just pull it off the site SVN
>>> for easy packaging in/with the release.
>>>

>> Ok, can we go in the other direction though?  I like to build it locally,
>> make changes, update and check links etc.
>>

> I'm really not sure what we're talking about any more.  You like to
> build what locally?  The Jini Spec?  River?  The JavaDoc?

My current practice is to edit the doc's in trunk and review them
locally and build the javadoc, check the links and commit changes.

> I doubt that the Jini Spec will change regularly, so having it
> separate from the source isn't a problem - in my opinion.  Please
> correct me if I'm wrong.  Besides the source, the only thing that
> might be changed vaguely regularly is the JavaDoc.

I intend to better document Discovery and constraints.

I'm happy for you to put things back how they were if that's what you want.

>> Can it be staged via an ant task.
>>
>> Still a markdown javadoc tool sounds neat, makes source code easier to read
>> too.
>>

> How does markdown JavaDoc make the code easier to read?

If you need to add html markup, markdown is easier to read.

> In Eclipse
> (at least) the documentation tips you get are JavaDoc based on the
> source code you've selected or are hovering over etc.  I read the
> above as formatting the JavaDoc into markdown?  Or are you saying
> there's a tool for generating markdown based on Javadocs?

No, it generates javadocs from markdown in your source code, I thought
it was interesting, the tool also creates UML diagrams in your javadoc.

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.
>> I've been changing the Jini Specs from HTML into a style which matches
>> the rest of our website - i.e. markdown.  In retrospect, maybe that
>> wasn't the right thing to do, because (as has been pointed out) we'll
>> need to convert the specs back from markdown into HTML for easy
>> download/reading on part of the users.
>>

> Actually don't rush into reversing your changes, lets think it through,
> Markdown is intended to be viewable as text, we've got a doc-src directory,
> we could keep your changes and include markdown as a build dependency.

I've not had the opportunity to do much of anything.  I can leave what
I've done there, and just put the HTML back in without any problem.

>> As I mention in this email, having Javadocs in a different format to
>> the website is okay, and I guess that having the Jini Spec in a
>> different format is okay also.  So I'm going to rollback my changes
>> for the Jini Spec only.  This way we can just pull it off the site SVN
>> for easy packaging in/with the release.
>>

> Ok, can we go in the other direction though?  I like to build it locally,
> make changes, update and check links etc.

I'm really not sure what we're talking about any more.  You like to
build what locally?  The Jini Spec?  River?  The JavaDoc?

I doubt that the Jini Spec will change regularly, so having it
separate from the source isn't a problem - in my opinion.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong.  Besides the source, the only thing that
might be changed vaguely regularly is the JavaDoc.

> Can it be staged via an ant task.
>
> Still a markdown javadoc tool sounds neat, makes source code easier to read
> too.

How does markdown JavaDoc make the code easier to read?  In Eclipse
(at least) the documentation tips you get are JavaDoc based on the
source code you've selected or are hovering over etc.  I read the
above as formatting the JavaDoc into markdown?  Or are you saying
there's a tool for generating markdown based on Javadocs?  How would

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 13-12-10 11:07, Tom Hobbs wrote:
>> To summarise, my thoughts would be:
>> - Hudson to build the Javadoc from the source as normal HTML
>> - Hudson to copy the Javadoc HTML to somewhere that it can be served
>> by our website
>> - Hudson to create a ZIP of the Javadoc HTML ready for download
>> - Hudson to create the release containing binaries/source and release
>> notes and made ready for download from website
>> - Jini Specifications (and other documentation) to be in markdown
>> format on the website and contain absolute links to the most
>> up-to-date Javadocs
>> - Jini Specifications (and other documentation) to be taken from the
>> HTML site SVN, zipped and made available for download
>
> To create a secure path from hudson to the website might not be that
> easy. We could prepare zipfiles in hudson, and at the moment of release
> have a small manual procedure to go through to publish it.

I see you have started a web page for the release process. A manual step
like that seems much more acceptable if it appears in a check list, so
that it won't get forgotten.

Are there any other projects using both the same web site building
process and javadoc? If so, what do they do? Perhaps the mentors could
suggest the most similar project to River in terms of process, so that
one of us can subscribe to their developer mailing list, review their
web pages etc.?

Patricia

Patricia

Re: Website, docuemntation links, and river/src-doc/static/index.html

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.

Posted by Tom Hobbs <tv...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.