Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Stone <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/30 14:59:42 UTC

How to know how many messages not yet processed ?

Our current messaging system is redis based (resque). So it's easy to know
how many messages got queued (not processed ) using LLEN to get the length
of a list (or using resque-web interface). For Kafka what's the recommended
way to get metrics such as # of unprocessed messages, how many messages got
by day or hour ? Is there any web based interface to view the metrics ?

Best Regards,
Stone

Re: How to know how many messages not yet processed ?

Posted by Mark <st...@gmail.com>.
Stone,

We are in the same boat.. we are using Resque for our queueing and its
invaluable to know this type of information. Unfortunately, I don't
believe Kafka exposes this information. Perhaps another messaging system
would better suit you... I belive RabbitMQ has an admin interface

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Stone,

Currently, Kafka doesn't expose # of unconsumed messages. We do have a
monitoring tool ConsumerOffsetCheck that tells you the lag in bytes per
partition for a given consumer. There is also a jmx bean ConsumerTopicStat
that stores the # of consumed messages per topic for a consumer.

Thanks,

Jun