Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Badal Ghosh <ba...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/11 08:30:50 UTC

how to know duplicate entry in spreadsheet at time of entry

Hii
Please inform me how to know duplicate entry at the time of entry. ( excel
highlighted color ) is there any option .

--
Thanks & Regards
Badal Ghosh

Re: how to know duplicate entry in spreadsheet at time of entry

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:00 11/09/2017 +0530, Badal Ghosh wrote:
>Please inform me how to know duplicate entry at the time of entry.
>(excel highlighted color) is there any option .

(I don't know what Excel has to do with this.)

o Go to Format | Styles and Formatting (or click the Styles and
Formatting button in the Formatting toolbar, or press F11)..
o Click the Cell Styles button.
o Create a new cell style, possibly one with a coloured background.
o Select the relevant cell range for your data. Let's imagine this is A1:A99.
o Note carefully the cell that is active within this range. Let's
imagine this is A99.
o Go to Format | Conditional Formatting.
o Under Condition 1, select "Formula is" from the left drop-down menu.
o In the box to the right, enter the formula: COUNTIF(A$1:A$99;A99)>1
. Note that the second parameter needs to be the active cell noted
above, whatever that is.
o Against Cell Style, select the cell style you created above.
o OK.

As you enter data, any duplicate value will be given the style you
created - along with the cell it duplicates.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: how to know duplicate entry in spreadsheet at time of entry

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 22:15 11/09/2017 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>I think Excel has a dedicated feature for this.

Oh, very probably. But I think the way to look at any requirement in
one application is to define it carefully and investigate suitable
processes rather than looking over the fence to where the grass may
appear already to be green (or possibly another colour in this case).

Brian Barker

Re: how to know duplicate entry in spreadsheet at time of entry

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> At 22:15 11/09/2017 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I think Excel has a dedicated feature for this.
>>

> Oh, very probably. But I think the way to look at any requirement in one
> application is to define it carefully and investigate suitable processes
> rather than looking over the fence to where the grass may appear already to
> be green (or possibly another colour in this case).

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Who is looking over the fence? The
OP? Maybe he switched from Excel to OpenOffice Calc and now he can't do
something that he could do in Excel, so he writes here to find out how to
do it. He could be referring to Excel just as an easy way to explain what
he's talking about. I don't consider that ”looking over the fence”. But I'm
just guessing here.

But I agree that it's not necessarily a good idea to only ”look over the
fence”. Just because it's done in one way in Excel doesn't mean that it's
the best way to do it.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Posted by Johnny Rosenberg <gu...@gmail.com>.

> At 14:00 11/09/2017 +0530, Badal Ghosh wrote:
>
>> Please inform me how to know duplicate entry at the time of entry. (excel
>> highlighted color) is there any option .
>>

> (I don't know what Excel has to do with this.)

I think Excel has a dedicated feature for this. I don't have Excel myself,
I only have it on my work computer, but I never tried this feature so I'm
not sure how it works.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg