Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net> on 2017/11/02 10:41:41 UTC

[NOTICE] Intent to T&R 2.5.0-alpha

Hi, all;

   As has been chatted about in other threads, I hope to T&R 2.5.0-alpha
in the coming days. I suppose notice is too soon to do so this evening,
so I'll plan for early next week.

   Also, as a side note, part of my motivation to be more involved as RM
is to help establish a more regular release cadence. I envision a world
where much of the drudgery of our RM processes are automated and have
begin putting together some scripts to help with that goal. Nothing
beats practice, though, to identify *all* the places that have to be
automated so hopefully after this alpha is out the door we'll be in a
good spot with some scripts and as minimal-as-possible manual procedures.

--
Daniel Ruggeri

Re: [NOTICE] Intent to T&R 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
>    Also, as a side note, part of my motivation to be more involved as RM
> is to help establish a more regular release cadence. I envision a world
> where much of the drudgery of our RM processes are automated and have
> begin putting together some scripts to help with that goal. Nothing
> beats practice, though, to identify *all* the places that have to be
> automated so hopefully after this alpha is out the door we'll be in a
> good spot with some scripts and as minimal-as-possible manual procedures.

Thanks Daniel!

Re: [NOTICE] Intent to T&R 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net> wrote:
> Hi, all;
>
>    As has been chatted about in other threads, I hope to T&R 2.5.0-alpha
> in the coming days. I suppose notice is too soon to do so this evening,
> so I'll plan for early next week.
>
>    Also, as a side note, part of my motivation to be more involved as RM
> is to help establish a more regular release cadence. I envision a world
> where much of the drudgery of our RM processes are automated and have
> begin putting together some scripts to help with that goal. Nothing
> beats practice, though, to identify *all* the places that have to be
> automated so hopefully after this alpha is out the door we'll be in a
> good spot with some scripts and as minimal-as-possible manual procedures.
>
> --
> Daniel Ruggeri

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the offer and all your automation effort!

I'm prepared to review this alpha candidate to share the deeper testing
and inspection chore with our broader community, particularly because
we don't offer snapshots for the general public to review, and our entire
purpose is to provide software to the public at no charge.

Re: [NOTICE] Intent to T&R 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel,

> Hi, all;
>
>    As has been chatted about in other threads, I hope to T&R 2.5.0-alpha
> in the coming days. I suppose notice is too soon to do so this evening,
> so I'll plan for early next week.
>
>    Also, as a side note, part of my motivation to be more involved as RM
> is to help establish a more regular release cadence. I envision a world
> where much of the drudgery of our RM processes are automated and have
> begin putting together some scripts to help with that goal. Nothing
> beats practice, though, to identify *all* the places that have to be
> automated so hopefully after this alpha is out the door we'll be in a
> good spot with some scripts and as minimal-as-possible manual procedures.

First of all thanks a lot for stepping up and take care of automating
RMing, it is something that we really need! I also like the idea of getting
to a point in which doing a release will be as simple as running a script
(that everybody in the PMC can do without the fear of doing a worldwide
mess).

I have a question for you about how do we plan to collect/list the 'known
issues' in trunk, in order to address them properly in the next iterations
of the 2.5.0 process to become a stable release.

For example, there is this thread that I'd really think is important:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c56cfc034e0b91261057aec7e7d12309e7561dcb0c038ef06b36081b@%3Cdev.httpd.apache.org%3E

I also believe that other people have pointers to things that would need
some love in trunk, but of course nobody has the overall complete picture
(I think). Would a section in STATUS be a starting point? I've read it this
morning and I found a ton of things to improve and a lot of suggestions,
that would probably require a big workforce to be completed (in parallel to
keeping 2.4.x up to date with bug fixes etc..). Do we have an idea how to
prioritize the work (or simply decide the 'must' vs 'nice to have')?

Thanks!

Luca

Re: [NOTICE] Intent to T&R 2.5.0-alpha

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <dr...@primary.net>.
Hi, Jacob;
  The odd-numbered releases are the dev/unstable releases (aka: trunk). This will make the next release 2.6... potentially, 3.0 if we think there have been enough changes. I personally don't think there have been, but that's ultimately a decision we'll make as a community.

   When 2.5 is API/ABI solidified, trunk gets branched (svn copy) to 2.6 to live on as a stable branch. Then, trunk gets a bump up to 2.7.
--
Daniel Ruggeri

Could you clear up some confusion for me?

We have
2.2 and 2.4.

Is 2.5 the ‘dev’ branch of 2.6? Or are we going 2.2 => 2.4 => 2.5?

—
Jacob Perkins
Product Owner
cPanel Inc.

jacob.perkins@cpanel.net <ma...@cpanel.net>
Office:  713-529-0800 x 4046
Cell:  713-560-8655

Posted by Jacob Perkins <ja...@cpanel.net>.
Very much so, thank you William and Daniel for your feedback and information!

—

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jacob Perkins <ja...@cpanel.net>.
Howdy,