Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by olivier demah <od...@messagio.com> on 2004/06/02 10:29:38 UTC

producing stats

Hi,
I would like to know what each of you, use to produce stats based on the
logs.
Is there a tool like webalizer / awstats (used to parse apache logs) for
jetty ?
if not ; how can i produce W3C log format ?
I've read http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ConfiguringTheLogs but
i dont see how to make log like apache ones.

regards.

Re: producing stats

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Aw. You spoilsport ;-) I was hoping to tell him that!

;) ;) ;)... Before I was active with Cocoon, I had tons of httpd experience.

<snip/>

> Anyway, note that I couldn't find this on Windows, but it is available
> on Unix.

IIRC, The httpd people don't recommend that you use it under Win32 in a production environment.
That being said, I've gotten tons of use out of Apache under windows, albeit mostly as a development
server.  I'd choose Apache on Win32 over IIS on Win32 any day of the week.

As far as graceful restarts, I'm not sure if Apache 1.x has this feature, but "Apache.exe /?"
reveals that you can give it the following option:

   -k restart        : tell running Apache to do a graceful restart

I would be interested to know if restarting the Apache service under windows does it this way
instead of stopping it and then starting it... I guess the only way to know is to test it out
myself, eh? :)

Cheers,

Tony

Re: producing stats

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> Le 2 juin 04, à 16:52, Upayavira a écrit :
>>
>>> ...And also, using Apache's cool 'graceful' restart feature, I can
>>> upgrade a client from v1.1 webapp to v1.2 webapp without any
>>> downtime at all...
>>

>> You've tickled my curiosity here, can you elaborate or point me to
>> relevant docs about this feature?
>

> The 'apachectl' command has a "graceful" parameter:
>
> graceful   - do a graceful restart by sending a SIGUSR1 or start if
> not running
>
> Basically, any requests that are currently being handled will
> continue, and when the child server process finishes, it will
> refresh.  Otherwise, if someone has a transfer going (like a big
> download), the download will just stop if you do 'apachectl restart'.

Aw. You spoilsport ;-) I was hoping to tell him that!

I've got a configuration script that creates an httpd.conf file
containing rewrite rules. I use a rewrite map to map client names to
versions, so www.mysite.com/clientA is rewritten to
www.v1.1.mysite.com/clientA, whereas www.mysite.com/clientB is rewritten
to www.v1.2.mysite.com/clientB. I have added those two new domain names
to my /etc/hosts file (actually, my script does that), and then have
Jetty mount two webapps, one against each domain. (It is actually even
cleverer than that, as it also handles load balancing while it is at it).

I now edit a config file, and run a script. The script buiilds the
httpd.conf, the jetty config, the rewrite maps, and the /etc/hosts
files, and then does a graceful Apache restart.

The results of numerous overnight hard work (so I could break our Uk
based server without troubling our userbase). And I'm chuffed with it.

Anyway, note that I couldn't find this on Windows, but it is available
on Unix.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: producing stats

Posted by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu>.

Re: producing stats

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 2 juin 04, à 16:52, Upayavira a écrit :
> ...And also, using Apache's cool 'graceful' restart feature, I can
> upgrade a client from v1.1 webapp to v1.2 webapp without any downtime
> at all...

You've tickled my curiosity here, can you elaborate or point me to
relevant docs about this feature?

-Bertrand

Re: producing stats

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
olivier demah wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> olivier demah wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I would like to know what each of you, use to produce stats based on
>>> the logs.
>>> Is there a tool like webalizer / awstats (used to parse apache logs)
>>> for jetty ?
>>> if not ; how can i produce W3C log format ?
>>> I've read http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ConfiguringTheLogs
>>> but i dont see how to make log like apache ones.
>>

>> You should run Apache in front of Jetty, and use Apache's logs. We
>> use awstats, which serve us fine.
>>
>> For a full discussion of why and how, see
>> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheModProxy
>>
>> Regards, Upayavira
>>

> isn't there a simpliest way ?

There may well be, but I've never needed to find it. Having Apache front
ending Jetty might seem complex, but the benefits are huge, and I've
never regretted putting it there. From modest beginnings (with Apache
using mod_jk2 to communicate with Tomcat, and then Jetty), I've now got
Apache forwarding requests to two Jetty instances on load balanced
servers, with complex configuration scripts forwarding to different
Cocoon webapps, depending upon the client the page refers to (e.g.
client A gets v1.1, whereas client B gets v1.2). That would have been
very difficult (if not impossible) to manage without Apache there. And
also, using Apache's cool 'graceful' restart feature, I can upgrade a
client from v1.1 webapp to v1.2 webapp without any downtime at all.

So I know it might not be that straightforward, but the benefits are
huge. And I'm afraid I don't know of another way.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: producing stats

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 2 juin 04, à 15:45, olivier demah a écrit :

> Upayavira wrote:
>> ...You should run Apache in front of Jetty, and use Apache's logs. We
>> use awstats, which serve us fine....

> ...isn't there a simpliest way ?

Installing Apache and mod_proxy is fairly trivial today (at least on
*nix platforms, dunno much about M$), and the benefits are huge
compared to a standalone servlet container.

Investing (usually a small amount of) time to get up to speed with
Apache/mod_proxy is certainly worth it.

-Bertrand

Re: producing stats

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com>.
On Jun 2, 2004, at 6:45 AM, olivier demah wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>> You should run Apache in front of Jetty, and use Apache's logs. We
>> use awstats, which serve us fine.
> isn't there a simpliest way ?

That way is way simple! :-)
~ml

Re: producing stats

Posted by olivier demah <od...@messagio.com>.
Upayavira wrote:

> olivier demah wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would like to know what each of you, use to produce stats based on
>> the logs.
>> Is there a tool like webalizer / awstats (used to parse apache logs)
>> for jetty ?
>> if not ; how can i produce W3C log format ?
>> I've read http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ConfiguringTheLogs
>> but i dont see how to make log like apache ones.
>

> You should run Apache in front of Jetty, and use Apache's logs. We use
> awstats, which serve us fine.
>
> For a full discussion of why and how, see
> http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=ApacheModProxy
>
> Regards, Upayavira

isn't there a simpliest way ?

Re: producing stats