Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com> on 2007/05/13 05:00:42 UTC

How to use FileWatchdog?

Hi,

I'm trying to use Log4j 1.3alpha-8 watchdog for my XML configuration file,
but am having difficulties.

I've tried the following:
import org.apache.log4j.watchdog.*;
FileWatchdog confiFileWatchdog = new FileWatchdog();
configFileWatchdog.setFile( log4j.xml path );
configFileWatchdog.activateOptions();

But I get the following error message:
ERROR org.apache.log4j.watchdog.FileWatchdog - watchdog requires repository
that supports LoggerRepositoryEx

I'm not entirely sure how to create my loggers such that the repository
supports LoggerRepositoryEx.  Is there something special I need to do in the
log4j.xml file to accomplish this?  Are the watchdogs not yet supported?

If watchdogs are not yet fully supported, how can I programatically reload
my log4j.xml configuration file?

Thanks,

Eric

Re: How to use FileWatchdog?

Posted by "Eric B." <eb...@hotmail.com>.
"Curt Arnold" <ca...@apache.org> wrote in message
> You posted a nearly identical message yesterday on log4j-user to  which
> Kamal Ahmed gave what should have been a helpful response.   log4j-user is
> the right forum for the question and we should keep the  discussion there.
> I'll post my comments there in response to your  original message.

Thanks.  Sorry about the duplication - I wasn't sure which forum to post to,
given some advice I had received about 1.3 being a product still under dev.
I have moved my discussion and responses to log4j-user as well.

Thanks,

Eric

Re: How to use FileWatchdog?