Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/06/18 02:45:28 UTC

[Important] please test final release candidate

We need people to test the final release candidate on your projects,
especially on different operating systems and Java versions.
Just send a short reply to this thread that it works for you.
See method below.

Download the release candidate and supporting files:
http://people.apache.org/~crossley/forrest-07-rc2/

For Windows: apache-forrest-0.7.zip
For UNIX: apache-forrest-0.7.tar.gz
Get the *.asc and *.md5 that match your chosen download.

It was packed from SVN revision 191223
Java 1.4 or later is required.

If you want to verify the download, then follow:
http://forrest.apache.org/mirrors.cgi#verify

Otherwise just get on with testing.

Testing concludes Sunday 2005-06-19 14:00 UTC

Anyone can test, please don't leave it up to just a few people.

Here are some hints:

* Ensure that the compressed archive will unpack properly.
* Verify the release, especially if you are a committer.
* Follow the README.txt and index.html
* Set environment variables.
* Don't worry too much about minor bugs. We are looking
for blockers, such as it will not run. Many known issues
are recorded at our Jira, perhaps you can add more.

* Make a fresh site ...
cd my-new-dir
forrest seed
forrest run ... use the local jetty server.
forrest ... build the whole site from the command-line.
forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat.

* Try it on the Forrest core docs ...
cd site-author
forrest run

* Forrest was already pre-built. Try building it again.
cd main
build clean
build
build test

* Try it on your own project, especially if you have
a project sitemap and use some extra plugins.

* Please report any problems to the mailing lists and
we will collate them in the issue tracker. Then we will
decide which ones need fixing now.

----------------

Re: [Important] please test final release candidate

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> Ok, last time tonight, I have no clue what happened but all is well
> now.  I deleted the download, reinstalled it and it worked fine.

Has anyone else been able to reproduce any of the problems that Tim had
or can we put it down to a freak happening.

> Sorry for the
> noise.

It is not noise, it is valuable testing feedback and we greatly
appreciate it. Thanks.

Ross

Re: [Important] please test final release candidate

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
Ok, last time tonight, I have no clue what happened but all is well
now.  I deleted the download, reinstalled it and it worked fine.  I
swear I tried it several times before posting too.  Sorry for the
noise.  While I didn't think the stack I pasted in above was that
long, I'm kinda glad I pasted it now so that you know I wasn't
dreaming.   Anyway, check the "forrest.version" thing and good job on
0.7.
Thanks,
--tim

Re: [Important] please test final release candidate

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Tim Williams wrote:
> apache-forrest-0.7.zip
> Windows XP Pro
> Java 1.4.2_08
>
> I'm having trouble with this one. While trying to track down the
> trouble, I did notice that "forrest.version" is still set to "0.7-dev"
> in forrest.build.xml.  I wasn't sure if that should have been switched
> for the RC or only after it's been voted on but I figured it worth
> mentioning.

Good Catch

It should have been switched. This one was obviously overlooked. I have
confirmed it is the same in both the zip and the tar files.

Ross

Re: [Important] please test final release candidate

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
apache-forrest-0.7.zip
Windows XP Pro
Java 1.4.2_08

I'm having trouble with this one. While trying to track down the
trouble, I did notice that "forrest.version" is still set to "0.7-dev"
in forrest.build.xml.  I wasn't sure if that should have been switched
for the RC or only after it's been voted on but I figured it worth
mentioning.

Anyway, I suspect there's a line ending problem in output.xmap in the
pdf plugin.  I was having a lot of strange Cocoon problems including
the one below.  Out of desparation, I deleted the line break, added a
new one, then saved and now all appears to work.  Now, truthfully, I
don't fully understand the whole *nix/dos line endings thing so it
very well could also be coincidence too but worth someone taking a
closer look either way.
--tim

ERROR   (2005-06-17) 22:16.17:420   [access]
(/skin/images/rc-b-r-15-1body-2menu-3menu.png)
PoolThread-1/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon Problem
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
Error while creating node 'select' at
file:/C:/src/apache-forrest-0.7/build/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.pdf/output.xmap:30:35
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodesList(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:128)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:136)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MatchNodeBuilder.buildNode(MatchNodeBuilder.java:76)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNodeBuilder.buildNode(PipelineNodeBuilder.java:113)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNodeBuilder.buildNode(PipelinesNodeBuilder.java:65)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SitemapNodeBuilder.buildNode(SitemapNodeBuilder.java:70)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.createTree(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:296)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.DefaultTreeBuilder.build(DefaultTreeBuilder.java:381)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.buildConcreteProcessor(TreeProcessor.java:401)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.setupConcreteProcessor(TreeProcessor.java:348)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:247)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.MountNode.invoke(MountNode.java:112)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:76)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SelectNode.invoke(SelectNode.java:82)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:76)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelineNode.invoke(PipelineNode.java:138)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:76)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PipelinesNode.invoke(PipelinesNode.java:95)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:203)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ConcreteTreeProcessor.process(ConcreteTreeProcessor.java:149)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.TreeProcessor.process(TreeProcessor.java:248)
[...]
	at org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:1097)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:354)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationHandler.dispatch(WebApplicationHandler.java:294)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:567)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1808)
	at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.WebApplicationContext.handle(WebApplicationContext.java:525)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpContext.handle(HttpContext.java:1758)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.service(HttpConnection.java:790)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handleNext(HttpConnection.java:952)
	at org.mortbay.http.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:807)
	at org.mortbay.http.SocketListener.handleConnection(SocketListener.java:197)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadedServer.handle(ThreadedServer.java:289)
	at org.mortbay.util.ThreadPool$PoolThread.run(ThreadPool.java:501)
Caused by: org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.PatternException: Cannot get
module named 'project' in expression
'{project:content.xdocs}/{1}{2}.pdf'
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.PreparedVariableResolver.getNewModuleToken(PreparedVariableResolver.java:142)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.PreparedVariableResolver.access$500(PreparedVariableResolver.java:41)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.PreparedVariableResolver$1.addToken(PreparedVariableResolver.java:96)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.VariableExpressionTokenizer.tokenize(VariableExpressionTokenizer.java:95)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.PreparedVariableResolver.<init>(PreparedVariableResolver.java:69)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.VariableResolverFactory.getResolver(VariableResolverFactory.java:104)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SelectNodeBuilder.buildNode(SelectNodeBuilder.java:59)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.buildChildNodesList(AbstractParentProcessingNodeBuilder.java:121)
	... 46 more
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: Could
not find component for role:
[org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/project]
(Key='org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/project')
	at org.apache.cocoon.core.container.CoreServiceManager.lookup(CoreServiceManager.java:364)
	at org.apache.cocoon.core.container.DefaultServiceSelector.select(DefaultServiceSelector.java:138)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.variables.PreparedVariableResolver.getNewModuleToken(PreparedVariableResolver.java:140)
	... 53 more
ERROR   (2005-06-17) 22:16.18:051   [access] (/samples/static.html)
PoolThread-2/CocoonServlet: Internal Cocoon Problem
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The cocoon-ehcache-55 Cache is not alive.
	at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.checkStatus(Cache.java:713)
	at net.sf.ehcache.Cache.get(Cache.java:355)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.store.impl.EHDefaultStore.get(EHDefaultStore.java:242)
	at org.apache.cocoon.caching.impl.CacheImpl.get(CacheImpl.java:97)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.validatePipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:418)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.setupPipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:614)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.preparePipeline(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:450)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractProcessingPipeline.process(AbstractProcessingPipeline.java:400)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.SerializeNode.invoke(SerializeNode.java:134)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:76)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.ContainerNode.invoke(ContainerNode.java:38)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.CategoryNode.invokeByName(CategoryNode.java:66)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.CallNode.invoke(CallNode.java:83)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.AbstractParentProcessingNode.invokeNodes(AbstractParentProcessingNode.java:54)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.treeprocessor.sitemap.PreparableMatchNode.invoke(PreparableMatchNode.java:112)

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
Fedora Core 3
Java 1.5.0_03
All is well.

> forrest war ... use your own full Jetty or Tomcat
this is the only thing i didn't test as I've recently hosed my
apache+tomcat install.

--tim