Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Gary Matulis <ga...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/24 20:28:02 UTC

volunteering to contribute, C++

Hello -

I would like contribute to Qpid, specifically to the C++ codebase.  What is
the best way to obtain an assignment?  I looked at the JIRA "Starter"
section, but those items all appear to be Java based.

thank you,
Gary

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Gary Matulis wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I would like contribute to Qpid, specifically to the C++ codebase.  What is
> the best way to obtain an assignment?  I looked at the JIRA "Starter"
> section, but those items all appear to be Java based.
>
> thank you,
> Gary

Gary,

Welcome to the project, how ambitious are you? and anything you are
interested in?

Carl.

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Manuel Teira Paz <mt...@tid.es>.
Gordon Sim escribió:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:
>
>> Gary Matulis wrote:
>>

> Manuel was also going to start work on an ODBC version of this
> (http://www.nabble.com/Two-Phase-Commit-and-qpid-td19665777.html).

Unfortunately, I'm passing a heavy workload tunnel, and I still cannot
see the light at the end. Sadly, my contributions to the qpid project
will be deffered for a time. Looking forward to have time to contribute
again.

Best regards.

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
Carl Trieloff wrote:
> Gary Matulis wrote:
>> Hi Carl, Steve -
>>
>> I would say I'm fairly ambitious.  I expect to have a significant
>> amount of
>> time over the next couple of months to dedicate to the work.  I don't
>> have a
>> particular area of interest within Qpid (other than within the C++
>> code) as
>> I'm just beginning to study the project.  So, I'm open to suggestions
>> about
>> what area to work in, or what area needed help.  As for platforms, I
>> could
>> do either Linux or Windows, but I'm much more familiar with the Linux
>> toolchain.
>>
>> - Gary
>>

> My list of top bigger items is:
>
> - GSSAPI kerberos authentication SASL (short term, have need for this
> soon)  (have SASL, need to make sure kerb works)

We have cyrus-sasl integration on the broker side, but not yet on the
client side (QPID-976).

> - GSSAPI kerberos encryption (short term, have need for this soon)
> - Priority message queues (I think someone is looking into this one)

QPID-529, I believe Danushka is working on this (he didn't show up in
the list of valid assignment targets; can only committers have jiras
assigned to them?)

> - Performance work (If you are interested, I can direct you at the data
> I have seen so far on the hots spots from systemtap/oprofile)
> - Currently there is a message store here:
> https://svn.jboss.org/repos/rhmessaging/store/trunk/cpp  which can't
> live in qpid
> as if uses some non ASL licensed dependencies. It also uses Linux
> specific AIO. It would be great to get a ASL license-able
> store module added to the project

Manuel was also going to start work on an ODBC version of this
(http://www.nabble.com/Two-Phase-Commit-and-qpid-td19665777.html).

> - Hooking in additional instrumentation data QMF
> - mapping AMQP wiring commands into QMF
> - well I think there is quite a bit that can be done on QMF if you are
> interested in this area...
> - I am sure Steve has Windows related stuff that needs doing.

Another option:

* selectors (JMS style expression indicating which messages are of
interest) (QPID-530)

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

> Carl,
>
> Are these issues JIRA'd it would be great to have some 'Starter' C++
> issues. It would also be great to have things that people are working
> on such as Priority Queue in the system would be good to co-ordinate
> across brokers where possible.
>
> Regards
>
> Martin

Some are some aren't but none are in the starter section. As we clean up
JIRA around the M4
release I will start marking some items as starter as Marnie did

Carl.

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Ritchie

Re: volunteering to contribute, C++

Posted by Gary Matulis <ga...@gmail.com>.
Very cool.  I'll be spending the next couple of days studying Qpid and AMPQ,
and get back to you...

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Gary,

> I would like contribute to Qpid, specifically to the C++
> codebase.

Great!

> What is the best way to obtain an assignment?  I looked at the
> JIRA "Starter" section, but those items all appear to be Java based.

What is your interest area(s)? What platform(s) do you have to work
with?

Thanks,
-Steve