Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by ewitness - Ben Fowler <bf...@ewitness.co.uk> on 2002/02/08 23:51:17 UTC

Re: Entity references in FOP

>David Wood <ob...@panix.com> wrote:
>>  I would be curious to find a list of what entities are in and what aren't.
>  > Also, I presume I can use a numeric code (&#number; - or &amp;#number;) to
>>  reference the character directly. However, it seems like a list of those
>>  numbers and their corresponding characters is a little too basic for the
>>  FOP documentation or the usual reference materials. I assume there's a
>  > relevant ISO document - anybody know what it is?
>
>  [ snip ]
>
>Of course, whether the characters are displayed correctly depends
>on the fonts installed for FOP, the font selected, and perhaps
>the fonts installed on the machine where the resulting PDF is
>finally viewed. Whether a HTML entity is defined for a particular
>is irrelevant.
>
>HTH
>J.Pietschmann

Yes, you can use &#number;, and this sometimes proves easier.

I have met this problem as well, and I would like to ask a
supplementary question. Wuth full SGML (and HTML for that matter),
a large number of entities are pre-defined in the sense that they
are accessed through the DTD. Of course this is in general not
done in XML.

I had assumed that the correct solution was to create an internal
subset <URL: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/98/08/xmlqna2.html >.

I don't suppose that SKS could post a short complete file would
have this as its meat.

      <para>&ldquo;Hello World!&rdquo</para>

Ben.