Posted to small-events-discuss@apache.org by Mohammad Nour El-Din <mn...@apache.org> on 2012/04/10 10:46:01 UTC

[IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Hi (CCying Ate because of his interest about the event proposed)...

  Last Thursday April 5 2012 hat a small social meeting with Jasha
Joachimsthal (Apache Rave committer), Marcel Offermans (Apache Member) and
another friend of Marcel (Has interest in Rave and OSGi), it was a friendly
and social meeting in which we talked about different geeky stuff and
mostly about Apache (both community and projects).

The meeting was planned by Marcel and I and the main goal is to talk about
planning small Apache events in the Netherlands on frequent/regular bases,
which:

  1- Do not have to be a formal event at all, maybe just like a big
get-to-gether
  2- Mostly community driven, so we don't need to have any kind of
sponsorship (Maybe just that each attendee pays a small amount of money to
reserve the place in which we will have the event)
  3- It is more about hacking and giving talks about new ideas which can be
donated to ASF or already existing ASF projects

Why to be planned that way, one reason is that I just moved to the
Netherlands and I am still getting used to the living there and that is
what I can do for now time wise and effort wise,
also we thought that it is more better to do frequent events more than big
formal heavy planned ones, it is more about people interested in Apache and
hacking ASF projects.

Based on that, we agreed to have our 1st event on the last Thursday of
April, which is April 26 2012, in Arnhem, The Netherlands. We already have
2 talks (1 about Rave from Jasha and one about OSGi from Marcel's friend).

Thankfully, the CEO of Luminis (The company which Marcel works for) is
so enthusiastic about the idea and he offered to support that 1st event,
the way and level of sponsorship I will leave that to Marcel to explain
more about it.

I would appreciate having feedback from the small events community,
also advises and ideas for sure are so welcome.

  One last thing, Recently I was introduced to Meetup.com [1], which is a
very nice tool for planning meetups, small events and even big ones, I
suggest to use it for planning the events suggested above, I would also
appreciate having feedback/comments about that.

Looking forward to your reply :)

[1] - http://www.meetup.com

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: [IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi...

   Marcel and I worked on preparing for the event registration to handle
better planning and to know about how many people will attend the event.

Please go and register in [1], see you there :)

[1] - http://apachemeetup-nl.eventbrite.com/

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Apr 10, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:

> Based on that, we agreed to have our 1st event on the last Thursday of April, which is April 26 2012, in Arnhem, The Netherlands. We already have 2 talks (1 about Rave from Jasha and one about OSGi from Marcel's friend).

Based on the response so far, it seems we already have a healthy list of people that would like to give a talk, which is great.

> Thankfully, the CEO of Luminis (The company which Marcel works for) is so enthusiastic about the idea and he offered to support that 1st event, the way and level of sponsorship I will leave that to Marcel to explain more about it.

He agreed to pay for a venue, I'm in progress of trying to book it and will report back here when I have news. Luminis does not want anything in return as far as formal sponsoring goes.

> I would appreciate having feedback from the small events community, also advises and ideas for sure are so welcome.

Same here. For now I'm just going to move on and assume we can organize this and call it an Apache Meetup.

>   One last thing, Recently I was introduced to Meetup.com [1], which is a very nice tool for planning meetups, small events and even big ones, I suggest to use it for planning the events suggested above, I would also appreciate having feedback/comments about that.

> [1] - http://www.meetup.com

+1, looks good

Greetings, Marcel

Re: [IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Posted by Pepijn Noltes <pe...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mohammad,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Alexander Broekhuis
<a....@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Why to be planned that way, one reason is that I just moved to the
>> Netherlands and I am still getting used to the living there and that is
>> what I can do for now time wise and effort wise,
>> also we thought that it is more better to do frequent events more than big
>> formal heavy planned ones, it is more about people interested in Apache
>> and
>> hacking ASF projects.

Good idea, I'm fairly new to Apache and think this a nice step to get
more integrated in the community.

>> Based on that, we agreed to have our 1st event on the last Thursday of
>> April, which is April 26 2012, in Arnhem, The Netherlands. We already have
>> 2 talks (1 about Rave from Jasha and one about OSGi from Marcel's friend).

I am also willing to give a talk about Celix (an OSGi implementation
in C and the project I'm active in) and why we (Thales Netherlands)
use it.

Greetings,
Pepijn

Re: [IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Posted by Alexander Broekhuis <a....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Why to be planned that way, one reason is that I just moved to the
> Netherlands and I am still getting used to the living there and that is
> what I can do for now time wise and effort wise,
> also we thought that it is more better to do frequent events more than big
> formal heavy planned ones, it is more about people interested in Apache and
> hacking ASF projects.

I like this idea very much! I think smaller events makes more sense to get
the "hackers" together.

> Based on that, we agreed to have our 1st event on the last Thursday of
> April, which is April 26 2012, in Arnhem, The Netherlands. We already have
> 2 talks (1 about Rave from Jasha and one about OSGi from Marcel's friend).

If you are interested in more talks, I could also give one. But let's see
what else comes along!

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Alexander Broekhuis

Re: [IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
On 04/10/2012 10:46 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
> Hi (CCying Ate because of his interest about the event proposed)...

Hi Mohammad,

Thanks for pointing me to this list to which I'm now subscribed.
So no need to copy me further :)

I'm most certainly interested in this event and will try to be there myself.
And I'm interested to participate in general in the future.

Regards, Ate

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Nick,

On Apr 18, 2012, at 18:51 , Nick Burch wrote:

> On 10/04/12 09:46, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>>   1- Do not have to be a formal event at all, maybe just like a big
>> get-to-gether
>>   2- Mostly community driven, so we don't need to have any kind of
>> sponsorship (Maybe just that each attendee pays a small amount of money to
>> reserve the place in which we will have the event)
>>   3- It is more about hacking and giving talks about new ideas which can be
>> donated to ASF or already existing ASF projects
>
> Sounds fun, good luck with it!

Thanks!

> It's probably worth you having a chat with the Girls and Guys in Berlin about the Apache get-togethers they put on there. You've probably got similar enough numbers of committers and cultures that they could well have some useful advice and tips on what works well / doesn't.

Are they on this list as well? If not, who can we contact that was involved?

>>   One last thing, Recently I was introduced to Meetup.com [1], which is a
>> very nice tool for planning meetups, small events and even big ones, I
>> suggest to use it for planning the events suggested above, I would also
>> appreciate having feedback/comments about that.
>
> You have to pay to have a site on meetup, even if all the events are free. It also has some annoyances, but it does prove to be quite a good way to reach out to people. (I use it to help organise a French Language event in Oxford, so I know it quite well, but we don't use it for Oxford Geek Nights, which is a tech focused event that I help with)

We ended up for now using eventbrite, because meetup.com was down when we wanted to announce the event.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: [IDEA] - Frequent small events in the Netherlands

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick...

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com> wrote:

> On 10/04/12 09:46, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>
>>   1- Do not have to be a formal event at all, maybe just like a big
>> get-to-gether
>>   2- Mostly community driven, so we don't need to have any kind of
>> sponsorship (Maybe just that each attendee pays a small amount of money to
>> reserve the place in which we will have the event)
>>   3- It is more about hacking and giving talks about new ideas which can
>> be
>> donated to ASF or already existing ASF projects
>>

> Sounds fun, good luck with it!

Thanks

> It's probably worth you having a chat with the Girls and Guys in Berlin
> about the Apache get-togethers they put on there. You've probably got
> similar enough numbers of committers and cultures that they could well have
> some useful advice and tips on what works well / doesn't.

Cool, I was also thinking about that, but didn't know that there are
already something going in Germany, would please give me hints about who
specifically I should get in touch with ?

>    One last thing, Recently I was introduced to Meetup.com [1], which is a
>> very nice tool for planning meetups, small events and even big ones, I
>> suggest to use it for planning the events suggested above, I would also
>> appreciate having feedback/comments about that.
>>

> You have to pay to have a site on meetup, even if all the events are free.
> It also has some annoyances, but it does prove to be quite a good way to
> reach out to people. (I use it to help organise a French Language event in
> Oxford, so I know it quite well, but we don't use it for Oxford Geek
> Nights, which is a tech focused event that I help with)

Yeah I noticed that, I mean about that pay thing, so I would stick with
Eventbrite for now

Well, I hope that you and/or Sander could make it to this event :), but
seems that you are so busy at the moment

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.