Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by alun phillips <al...@dragonprints.com> on 2005/03/02 05:10:29 UTC

[users@httpd] home computer as a server

Hi - I'm a newbie here, so loads of apologies before I make a complete fool
of myself.

Apache 2.0
Windows XP Pro
Cable internet access - always on

I am trying to set up my home computer so that my friends and family can
view photos of my kids that I have put together in a website on my computer.
I have installed Apache2, and http://localhost/ successfully brings up the
apache web server welcome page, as does http://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX (my IP
address). I have worked out how to replace this page with a page of my
choice, but I am unable to get anyone else access to the page over the
internet (which I assume is possible). I have a laptop connected to my
computer on a home network, and that can reach the page via my IP, but no
one else can. I have disabled my Windows Firewall in an attempt to get it to
work, but with no luck. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't
figure it out.

If anyone has some advice, or can point me to some step by step instructions
somewhere on the internet, that would be great.

Cheers,
Alun

Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by Tyler Nally <tn...@technally.com>.
Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

> The ISP might well be blocking only 8080 and 80, since these are the
> standard ports for HTTP.

There's a port test at...

    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

.. that after you click a *continue* button (maybe *proceed*) .. on the
following page, there's a "Shields UP! Services" box part of the way down
the page.  You can click on any of the buttons...

     File Sharing, Common Ports, All Service Ports, Messenger Spam,
     Browser Headers, User Specified Custom Port Probe, or Lookup
     Specific Port Information

.. to find out more information about what port is for what service and
as to whether that port on your machine is open to the world or not or
anything inbetween.

For example... if you click on "All Service Ports" .. it starts to dynamically
probe all of your ports on your host machine and it builds a grid of squares
on the web page in front of you with either green squares, red squares, or
blue squares.  Follow the legend on the page and put your mouse over the
different colored squares and the ALT tag for the images will show you directly
which square you're "mousing over" to show you the status of each and every
port tested.  For "All Service Ports" .. it checks out your first 1056 ports.

If the port you're looking for isn't listed, then you can use the user specified
custom ports to setup a test for a specific range of ports that you might like
to check out as well.

Tyler Nally

Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by "Anthony G. Atkielski" <an...@atkielski.com>.

--
Anthony

Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca>.
Thanks. I usually just send myself an email then look at the headers.

Posted by Tyler Nally <tn...@technally.com>.
Tim Burden wrote:
>>Yes - this external IP was the one I was already using, though the Name is
>>different to the one in the Apache config file. Maybe it's worth playing
>>about with that?
>>

> No, it should get translated by the modem. Usually they just block 80, so do
> try to use another port.

The *name* (like "ServerName" or even "ServerAlias") as seen in an
Apache config file, should be a DNS resolvable name that *any* machine
on the *net* can use to look up and get to your machine.  If you don't
have a resolvable *name* ... then you'd have to use an IP address.

Now, on the same kind of note, if you have an IP address that changes
because it's part of a non-business network (like at home) and you're
not supposed to get a static IP address..... DynDNS (I think) makes it
possible to have a local DNS server that will check periodically that
the local IP has changed/not changed and make the proper adjustments
necessary to DNS when it's time to.  But, to do that, you have to have
a hole for port 53 (name services) punched into the firewall and forwarded
to the local DynDNS instance so that you can perform DNS resolution for
others for machine(s)...

Probably not a good idea to have the local machine be the primary DNS
as you really need a remote machine (outside of your network) to have
a regular static IP address that will take updates from the DynDNS
instance.  The outside world should look up your domain there first
and then that machine resolve to your current IP address.  I think
that's the way it works.

Tyler Nally

RE: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by alun phillips <al...@dragonprints.com>.
Gene wrote:

> May I suggest Zone Alarm ? I use zone alarm pro and it's pretty good.
> There is a free version that has fewer bells and whistles.

Yes I used to have Zone Alarm Pro, but stopped using it when I installed XP
SP2 and had problems with my home network. May well give it another go.

Posted by Gene <li...@Bomgardner.net>.
alun phillips wrote:

>It was the port that was the issue. Selected another port, and all is
>working ok.

ISPs blocking port 80 sin't all that uncommon. I know Verizon does it
and MSN blocks it in the modem/router's firewall.

>Thanks for everyone's help. Now I'll have to hunt down a decent firewall
>other than the windows xp one.

May I suggest Zone Alarm ? I use zone alarm pro and it's pretty good.
There is a free version that has fewer bells and whistles.

Gene

RE: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by alun phillips <al...@dragonprints.com>.
Tim Burden wrote

Posted by Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca>.

Posted by alun phillips <al...@dragonprints.com>.
Thanks Tyler, Tim, & Anthony

Posted by Tyler Nally <tn...@technally.com>.

Posted by Tim Burden <ti...@burden.ca>.
A. You need to use the external (internet facing) IP address of the cable
modem. This changes sometimes

B. Some cable providers explicitly block port 80 traffic so that home users
cannot use their cable connection to serve.

Posted by "Anthony G. Atkielski" <an...@atkielski.com>.
alun phillips writes:

> I am trying to set up my home computer so that my friends and family can
> view photos of my kids that I have put together in a website on my computer.
> I have installed Apache2, and http://localhost/ successfully brings up the
> apache web server welcome page, as does http://XXX.XXX.XX.XXX (my IP
> address). I have worked out how to replace this page with a page of my
> choice, but I am unable to get anyone else access to the page over the
> internet (which I assume is possible). I have a laptop connected to my
> computer on a home network, and that can reach the page via my IP, but no
> one else can. I have disabled my Windows Firewall in an attempt to get it to
> work, but with no luck. I am sure it is something very simple, but I can't
> figure it out.

Your ISP may be blocking the traffic.

Keep in mind that it's extremely dangerous to run your desktop home
computer as a server.  Once you allow the outside world to contact your
machine, it becomes very vulnerable unless you've gone to great lengths
to secure it against attack.  Disabling the firewall is _not_ a good
idea.

You can run your own server at home, but it should be on a completely
separate machine, dedicated to that purpose, with an independent
firewall carefully configured to allow incoming traffic only to the
server, and not to any other machine.

--
Anthony

Re: [users@httpd] home computer as a server

Posted by Tyler Nally <tn...@technally.com>.
I'll take a stab at this and see if there is someone more knowledgeble
than I by the other replies seen.

I think the problem is... a typical home DSL/Cable modem setup
doesn't allow (I don't think) the forwarding of inbound traffic
of port 80 (normally www port) from the DSL/Cable Modem to the
destination machine.  Which keeps everybody in the outside world
(even if they knew your current IP address) from viewing your
web pages.

If that's the case, then the remedy would be to go to the local
store and get a DSL/Cable router that'll you'll use to replace
the standard DSL/Cable modem that the phone or cable company has
provided you.  With a DSL/Cable router (technically, you can also
take an old PC that has three network cards and put IP Cop on it
and do the same thing) you'll be able to have a firewall capabilities
that will keep intruders out, and you'll be able to configure the
router part of the device to forward port #80 traffic to a specific
machine on your home network.

Another possibility is that your provider might not allow inbound
traffic to your part of the internet because then that would signal
to them you are running a server.  Which would normally mean more
$$$ for them to assign you a static IP and higher bandwidth that
a server really needs.  They'd rather have you as a business (or
small office customer) because that means more $$$ for them instead
of the lowly domestic residential rates.

That's my try... anybody else... or am I all wet?

Tyler Nally