Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by anatoly techtonik <te...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/25 13:53:11 UTC

Embedded pager

SVN command line help is getting huge with every release. I really miss pager for reading command line help in windows. I've tired of extra typing to pipe help output to "more" once in a while to get to arguments list format. As I was asked to discuss this prior to entering bug report, I post this request here.

Thanks for attention. Please, CC.

Re: Embedded pager

Posted by Matthieu Moy <Ma...@imag.fr>.
"Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org> writes:

> Do you file such requests will all of
> your frequently used tools, such as gcc?

Why take "gcc" as an example, and not "man"?

--
Matthieu

Re: Embedded pager

Posted by "B. Smith-Mannschott" <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 18:09, Hyrum K. Wright<hy...@hyrumwright.org> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:53 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>
>> SVN command line help is getting huge with every release. I really
>> miss pager for reading command line help in windows. I've tired of
>> extra typing to pipe help output to "more" once in a while to get to
>> arguments list format. As I was asked to discuss this prior to
>> entering bug report, I post this request here.
>
> I'm curious: why should Subversion re-invent or re-implement perfectly
> usable tools, simply because you are tired of using the pager
> applicable to your environment?  Do you file such requests will all of
> your frequently used tools, such as gcc?
>
> These are honest questions.  If there is a serious use case Subversion
> lacks, it's good to know about it.  I suspect in this case, the answer
> is "write a wrapper script" rather than "spend a large amount of time
> re-inventing the wheel."  If it's not, though, I'm interested to learn
> why.

Well, as user of svn and git (and to a lesser degree hg and bzr) I can
say that I've come to appreciate git's affordances here. Git's
(mostly) intelligent use of color and paging is a real usability win
when working on the command line. Whenever I switch back to svn, bzr
and hg it feels a little stone-age for a moment.

Recently, I've been writing scripts that build on subversion to
provide me convenient access to functionality I use often which might
have been built into subversion that isn't. (list tags and branches of
the current project, create a new branch given only the branch name,
switch to branch easily, and yes, even the equivalent of svn log |
less.)

If I'm doing this, I wonder how many others are as well.

Re: Embedded pager

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.

RE: Embedded pager

Posted by anatoly techtonik <te...@gmail.com>.
Even tough your suggestion is not about pager, it will solve my problem, but that doesn't mean that the pager won't be useful.

About "usage" command - I strongly against introducing new commands. Better add -v option for "help".

-------------
$ svn help checkout
checkout (co): Check out a working copy from a repository.
usage: checkout URL[@REV]... [PATH]
Valid options:
  -r [--revision] ARG : ARG (some commands also take ARG1:ARG2 range)
                             A revision argument can be one of:
                                NUMBER revision number
                                '{' DATE '}' revision at start of the date
                                'HEAD' latest in repository
                                'BASE' base rev of item's working copy
                                'COMMITTED' last commit at or before BASE
                                'PREV' revision just before COMMITTED
  -q [--quiet] : print nothing, or only summary information
  -N [--non-recursive] : obsolete; try --depth=files or --depth=immediates
  --depth ARG : limit operation by depth ARG ('empty', 'files',
                            'immediates', or 'infinity')
  --force : force operation to run
  --ignore-externals : ignore externals definitions

use "svn help -v co" to get more info.

RE: Embedded pager

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
> Van: Johan Corveleyn [mailto:johan.corveleyn@uz.kuleuven.ac.be]
> > Van: anatoly techtonik [mailto:techtonik@gmail.com]
> >
> > SVN command line help is getting huge with every release. I
> really
> > miss pager for reading command line help in windows. I've tired
> of
> > extra typing to pipe help output to "more" once in a while to get
> > to arguments list format. As I was asked to discuss this prior to
> > entering bug report, I post this request here.
>
> Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this?
[snip]

Sorry, I misread your mail (subject), and the obvious suggestion to simply embed some kind of pager in the help ...

Johan

RE: Embedded pager

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jo...@uz.kuleuven.ac.be>.
> Van: anatoly techtonik [mailto:techtonik@gmail.com]
>
> SVN command line help is getting huge with every release. I really
> miss pager for reading command line help in windows. I've tired of
> extra typing to pipe help output to "more" once in a while to get
> to arguments list format. As I was asked to discuss this prior to
> entering bug report, I post this request here.

Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this? I mean, the huge help is there for a reason, since there are lots of options, and lots of important things to say about them. That said, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a short version, just listing the syntax, arguments format, ...?

Maybe a new "usage" command should be added that does exactly this, like so:
-------------
$ svn usage checkout
checkout (co): Check out a working copy from a repository.
usage: checkout URL[@REV]... [PATH]
Valid options:
  -r [--revision] ARG      : ARG (some commands also take ARG1:ARG2 range)
                             A revision argument can be one of:
                                NUMBER       revision number
                                '{' DATE '}' revision at start of the date
                                'HEAD'       latest in repository
                                'BASE'       base rev of item's working copy
                                'COMMITTED'  last commit at or before BASE
                                'PREV'       revision just before COMMITTED
  -q [--quiet]             : print nothing, or only summary information
  -N [--non-recursive]     : obsolete; try --depth=files or --depth=immediates
  --depth ARG              : limit operation by depth ARG ('empty', 'files',
                            'immediates', or 'infinity')
  --force                  : force operation to run
  --ignore-externals       : ignore externals definitions
---------------

What do you think? Or even without the options, just the first two lines?

Regards,
Johan

Re: Embedded pager

Posted by Matthieu Moy <Ma...@imag.fr>.
anatoly techtonik <te...@gmail.com> writes:

> SVN command line help is getting huge with every release. I really
> miss pager for reading command line help in windows.

The way Git handles this is very neat: when the output is a terminal,
it automatically pipes itself into "less" for a predefined list of
commands (whose output are usually long).

--
Matthieu