Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2007/12/05 17:37:26 UTC

Can't get MeetingFinderCPE_Managed_Unix.xml to work - can someone else try it?

There seems to be something wrong with CPE managed (aka "local") mode
on Linux.  I haven't been able to get even the example that ships with
UIMA to work.

I tried a few different Linux machines.  One one I get an error
because ksh is not installed - opened a JIRA for that.  On two others,
which do have ksh, it just hangs.

Can someone else give this a try, just to make sure I'm not doing
something wrong?  I just installed the uima driver, ran
adjustExamplePaths, and from the examples directory executed runCPE.sh
descriptors/collection_processing_engine/MeetingFinderCPE_Managed_Unix.xml.

Thanks,
-Adam

Re: Can't get MeetingFinderCPE_Managed_Unix.xml to work - can someone else try it?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Can reproduce, but with help (Thanks, Eddie and Jerry and Adam) was able
to determine that it's not a problem with getEnvVars() method, but
rather the merge logic looks suspicious.  Will investigate further.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
There was a discussion about this a few weeks ago. Here is part of my reply:

When I did this on Windows it worked fine, but on Linux it hung because the
deployed service didn't have a proper environment. In order to get it
working on Linux, I added a PATH environment for the new process in the
descriptor, e.g.

            <runInSeparateProcess>
                <exec dir="." executable="java">
                                        <env key="PATH"

value="/myPathTo/jdk1.5.0/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/eddie/apache-uima/bin"/>

                    <env key="CLASSPATH"
                        value="src:/home/eddie/apache-uima/lib/uima-
core.jar:/home/eddie/apache-uima/lib/uima-cpe.jar:/home/eddie/apache-uima/lib/uima-examples.jar:/home/eddie/apache-uima/lib/uima-adapter-vinci.jar:/home/eddie/apache-uima/lib/jVinci.jar"/>
                    <arg>-DLOG=service.log</arg>
                    <arg>
org.apache.uima.adapter.vinci.VinciAnalysisEngineService_impl</arg>
                    <arg>${descriptor}</arg>
                </exec>
            </runInSeparateProcess>

Eddie

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.
Michael Baessler wrote:
> [...]
> processed.
> After that I did the same test with the cpeGUI. And it seems to work
> fine - no error messages
> are displayed and the output folder has the processed documents. But
> when looking on the command line
> I see:
> Error loading CPE Descriptor
> /home/uima/UIMATesting/apache-uima/examples/descriptors/collection_processing_engine/MeetingFinderCPE_Managed_Unix.xml
>
> org.apache.uima.util.InvalidXMLException: Invalid descriptor at
> file:/home/uima/UIMATesting/apache-uima/examples/deploy/vinci/Deploy_MeetingDetectorTAE.xml.
>
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.XMLParser_impl.parse(XMLParser_impl.java:193)
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.XMLParser_impl.parseResourceSpecifier(XMLParser_impl.java:365)
>
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.XMLParser_impl.parseResourceSpecifier(XMLParser_impl.java:346)
>
>        at
> org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmPanel.openCpeDescriptor(CpmPanel.java:1781)
>        at
> org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmPanel.readPreferences(CpmPanel.java:538)
>        at org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmPanel.<init>(CpmPanel.java:419)
>        at org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmFrame.<init>(CpmFrame.java:94)
>        at org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmFrame.initGUI(CpmFrame.java:178)
>        at org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmFrame.access$000(CpmFrame.java:49)
>        at org.apache.uima.tools.cpm.CpmFrame$1.run(CpmFrame.java:168)
>        at
> java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:240)
>        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:543)
>        at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:268)
>
>        at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:197)
>
>        at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:191)
>        at
> java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:183)
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:144)
> Caused by: org.apache.uima.util.InvalidXMLException: The XML parser
> encountered an unknown element type: deployment.
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.XMLParser_impl.buildObject(XMLParser_impl.java:276)
>
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.SaxDeserializer_impl.getObject(SaxDeserializer_impl.java:114)
>
>        at
> org.apache.uima.util.impl.XMLParser_impl.parse(XMLParser_impl.java:184)
>        ... 16 more
>
> So when looking into the details the MeetingDetector ae could not be
> loaded and was not used for the CPE run. But this error was not
> displays in the UI.
> Maybe you see the same when using the cpeGUI.

Deploying the MeetingDetector as vinci service without using the CPE all
works fine.

-- Michael

Re: Can't get MeetingFinderCPE_Managed_Unix.xml to work - can someone else try it?

Posted by Michael Baessler <mb...@michael-baessler.de>.