Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by raghavendra vutti <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/11/14 17:02:57 UTC

Storing videos in cassandra

Hi,

 Just wanted to know How does hulu or netflix store videos in cassandra.

Do they just use references to the video files in the form of URL's and
store in the DB??

could someone please me on this.

Thanks,
Raghavendra.

Re: Storing videos in cassandra

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
URI comes in pretty handy ;

video://videoprovider:codecSomething:myConverter:videoId <video://videoprovider:codecSomething:myConverter:videoId>

Or XRI but what Michael said.

Posted by Michael Shuler <mi...@pbandjelly.org>.

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.
I am truly sorry, Raghavendra. It didn't occur to me that you could be a
beginner.

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "list@airstreamcomm.net" <li...@airstreamcomm.net>.
Seconded.  It is completely unhelpful to spam this list.  Please stop.

Posted by Jon Haddad <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ali Akhtar <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oskar Kjellin <os...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benjamin Roth <be...@jaumo.com>.
I haven't had the chance to test Pithos but from an architectural view it
MUST be slower than a haystack-like architecture (
https://code.facebook.com/posts/685565858139515/needle-in-a-haystack-efficient-storage-of-billions-of-photos/).
This is why we decided to move to SeaweedFS (
https://github.com/chrislusf/seaweedfs). It still has a central component
(master server) but it is so slim and well designed that you really need to
hit a Facebook-like scale to push it to the limits. Haystack is purely
designed for simplicity + speed.
If you need more functionality, like authentication, permission management,
multi-tenancy, whatever, it probably will not be the architecture of your
choice. Actually there are really a lot of solutions for a Blob-Store. Some
use Cassandra, many of them have different approaches, every one with its
own pros and cons for certain use cases.

--
Benjamin Roth
Prokurist

Jaumo GmbH · www.jaumo.com
Wehrstraße 46 · 73035 Göppingen · Germany
Phone +49 7161 304880-6 · Fax +49 7161 304880-1
AG Ulm · HRB 731058 · Managing Director: Jens Kammerer

Re: Storing videos in cassandra

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.
No idea, just contact them

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kai Wang <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
For the record, there is an interesting use case of globo.com using
Cassandra to store video payload and stream live video at scale (in
particular, the FIFA World Cup + Olympics), but it's a pretty
non-conventional/advanced use case:
-
https://leandromoreira.com.br/2015/04/26/fifa-2014-world-cup-live-stream-architecture/
-